Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   need recipes that uses buttermilk.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/need-recipes-uses-buttermilk-t203886.html)

MyQuiltedFrenzy 10-22-2012 06:54 AM

Here is my Chocolate Cake made with buttermilk. We used this recipe at church and sold them at Thanksgicing and Christmas. Use 2 - 8x8 foil pans to sale or a 9x13 for home.
Chocolate Cake with icing
2 sticks butter, 1/2 cup water, 4 Tbls. Cocoa , 2 cups flour, 1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp. vanilla, 2 cups sugar, 2 beaten eggs, 1 tsp. baking soda
Melt butter, cocoa and water in small saucepan. Pour over other ingredients. Mix well. It will be watery. That's okay. Spray pan with Pam and dust with sugar. (Not flour) Bake at 350 for 30 min or until it tast done.
ICING
melt 1 stick butter, 6 Tbls. Milk, 4 Tbls. Cocoa in same small saucepan used before. Pour over 1 box confectioners sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla,dash salt, 1 cup chopped pecans. Pour over hot cake. (I take cake out of oven, then make icing) Cake is still warm and it cools to be an awesome fudgy moist cake.
Enjoy,Anna

svenskaflicka1 10-22-2012 06:57 AM

"grapenut bread" (it has no nuts in it, but is a favorite around here. toasted, for breakfast? to die for!)

1 cup grapenuts cereal soaked in
2 cups buttermilk for about 45 minutes.
add:
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten, 2 tsp soda dissolved in a little water
1 tsp baking powder in
4 cups flour.

mix it up --it will be very thick--but try not to overwork the batter.
divide into 2 loaf pans, bake at 350, for approx. 1 hour. test the center of the loaf for "done-ness" with a cake tester. (i use a large paper clip, unfolded. same one has hung on a little hook for years!)

let cool for ten minutes when done, turn out of pan. i store it in a large baggie, and find that while it's very tasty when it's warm, it slices easier and thinner (like for company, etc) after it's been in the bag overnight. it freezes well, too, for up to 6 months, when wrapped well.

it's my aunt jeannette's recipe, and we all love it. good for holidays, for those who can't have nuts in their food!

Pat75 10-22-2012 08:13 AM

YOu can make any kind of yeast bread you like Just scald it It will separate that is OKay cool it and use as any milk in the bread or rolls. If it tastes too sour to you after it is cooled add 1/4tsp of baking soda to the bread when adding the flour.

glassdriller 10-22-2012 09:30 AM

I like to marinate my chicken tenders in buttermilk overnight. Keeps them moist and gives them a tangy flavor

My time 10-22-2012 08:27 PM

Your making me hungry! Buttermilk pie is much more delicious than it sounds. I have not made one in years. Thanks for reminding me!

QuiltE 10-23-2012 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by My time (Post 5605369)
Your making me hungry! Buttermilk pie is much more delicious than it sounds. I have not made one in years. Thanks for reminding me!

Would you please share the recipe?

You all have me totally intrigued!!
THANK YOU!

Slow2Sew 10-23-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 5602567)
I put extra buttermilk in ice cube trays and freeze them. Then I bake with it.

Great idea!

Slow2Sew 10-23-2012 09:08 AM

I replace regular milk with buttermilk in the cornbread recipe on the Aunt Jemima self-rising butterimlk corn meal package. YUM!

Ccorazone 10-23-2012 09:11 AM

Pecan pralines use buttermilk

kso 10-23-2012 09:28 AM

I make a buttermilk bread in my bread machine.