Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   NO baking caramel corn (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/no-baking-caramel-corn-t80218.html)

farmquilter 12-02-2010 04:49 PM

A recipe was posted a while ago and I changed it a bit so it does not have to be baked for 1 hour or in the brown bag in the microwave. It takes about 8 minutes to boil the syrup to 300° which makes it perfect without baking.
This kinda tastes like Cracker Jacks and it disappears in no time.
I have been making a lot of this in the past 3 weeks and giving it to hunters and family. My 90 year old Dad LOVES the stuff and does not share.
Will make more to give later this month to family/friends. It is also good with chocolate drizzled on top when it has cooled.

No bake caramel corn

* 3 bags butter flavor micro popped popcorn

* 1 cup brown sugar

* 1/2 cup butter

* 1/4 cup light corn/pancake syrup(I use Log Cabin)

1 tsp molasses

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Can add peanuts if desired

Pop corn and sort out any leftover kernels, place in very large roaster pan (I use my antique aluminum dish pan)
On stove mix sugar, butter, syrup and molasses, stir/cook until sugar dissolves and cook to 300°
Add vanilla and baking soda, stir very well (add nuts now if desired)
Pour over popcorn and stir to coat as much corn as possible.
Put out on cookie sheets (2) to cool
Break into chunks and store in zip bags or airtight container.

amma 12-02-2010 05:43 PM

Thank you :D:D:D

littlehud 12-02-2010 06:06 PM

Sounds wonderful.

CoyoteQuilts 12-02-2010 06:47 PM

Never heard of baking caramel corn. My mom use to make it every year, I haven't had any in over 20 years! We use to pour it over popcorn, butter our bare hands, scoop up some of the covered popcorn and form into balls. That was the only thing she would let me do. I do remember when she added the baking soda that the hot mixture would foam up and she had to stir, stir, stir so it wouldn't run over.

raptureready 12-03-2010 04:03 AM

I wonder if this would work on that butter flavored puff fake popcorn? Then there's no worry about hulls or unpopped kernels. I may have to give it a try.

AlwaysQuilting 12-03-2010 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I wonder if this would work on that butter flavored puff fake popcorn? Then there's no worry about hulls or unpopped kernels. I may have to give it a try.

Oh yes let us know. I love that puff "popcorn". yum

CarrieAnne 12-03-2010 05:14 AM

Yummy Thanks!

farmquilter 12-03-2010 05:25 AM

CoyoteQuilts, in my old Farm Journal cookbook the corn had to be baked and that is what we always did. But found out that cooking the syrup to 300° it did not have to be baked.
raptureready, that is a great idea to use the ready made 'puff popcorn', please let us know when you try it.

deedee 12-03-2010 09:51 AM

Would you mind specifying the size of the microwave popcorn bags that use or the total cups of popped corn?
Thank you for a delicious sounding recipe.

stinker 12-03-2010 01:10 PM

About how long does it take to cook the syrup mixture to 300 degrees? Sounds interesting and want to try it. I have made this for years and baked it in the oven for an hour but only cook the syrup mixture once it comes to a boil for 5 minutes.