Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Not a Recipe, But Need Help With Burned Pot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/not-recipe-but-need-help-burned-pot-t233749.html)

goldsberry921 11-03-2013 06:10 PM

When I use to live in Mexico we used dirt and scrubbed a scorched pot. I haven't had it fail yet even though I've never been back in over 25 yrs.

onaemtnest 11-04-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 6382198)
I wonder, would this also work for the burner grates that has burned on crud on them?

I had read several places on the web including Pinterest that putting your grates in a plastic garbage bag with one cup of sudsy ammonia. Seal it and leave it overnight, also suggested that this is done on the patio or outside. Remove the grates and rinse with water, repeat if necessary.

I have the enameled gray over cast iron grates on my gas range and it works with them.

ILoveToQuilt 11-04-2013 09:45 AM

Thanks QB Members! Used the baking soda/water method (or I should say my DD did) and voila! One super clean pot. Now, what can I burn this week? Maybe I'll make soup...liquids usually don't burn! LOL

Anita

Jackie R 11-04-2013 06:14 PM

How about using one of those spray on oven cleaners and let it sit for a while. I used oven cleaner once a long while ago and it worked. You might have to do it a couple of times to get all the black off. Good luck!

patchsamkim 11-05-2013 06:23 PM

Just reporting in....I did soak with the fabric sheets...and I am so happy...the pan is saved!!! The burned bottom released after soaking overnight with the fabric softner. THANK_YOU to those of you that suggested that!!!

coopah 11-06-2013 04:44 AM

Glad the dryer sheets worked for you, Patchsamkim! Somewhere I saw a list of things used dryer sheets can do. Most were cleaning ideas. We use them for soaking burnt on casseroles, etc. They also removed those ugly brown spots on the casseroles. They they remove the gunk from around spigots and such in the kitchen and bathroom. Sure wish I could find that 100 uses list again. Now you have a pan that looks good again. YIppee!

mtkoldra 11-06-2013 05:09 PM

baking soda and bit of water, let it sit a day or two

I just burned my stainless steel pot when I left orange marmalade over night on the stove, about an inch of black charcoal on the bottom of the pot. Came off beautifully with baking soda soak.

Sandygirl 11-09-2013 03:48 AM

If heat burned it on, use cold water and dish detergent. Soak over night. Using heat to clean up something that heat caused does not make sense. And using poisonous items and solutions to clean something you serve food out of does not make sense to me either. No thanks.

If heat caused the issue, use cold water. Vice versa.

sandy

sassy granny 11-12-2013 05:13 PM

Get as much scraped off as possible and sprinkle Barkeeper's Friend on the bottom and let set a few minutes and take a damp dishcloth and rub it in until it's clean. I do this with my stainless pressure cookers. I have burned them pretty bad and I always get them like new again. Hope it works for you.

retta97 11-29-2013 05:43 PM

Use a Fabric Softener Sheet and Hot water let it set and all of the burnt stuff will magically come lose.