Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Oh Yuck, and the What to make for Dinner Question... and what do you do with Leftovers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/oh-yuck-what-make-dinner-question-what-do-you-do-leftovers-t7847.html)

Elizabeth A. 06-05-2008 01:33 PM

Okay I've now been sitting here on the board for over an hour trying to become inspired about dinner, and the only inspiration I have is, I don't have to cook tomorrow because it's Thursday...

Oh wait that's not right! It's Thursday today, as in I don't have to cook because it's just me and Jessica today! YIPPIE! Let's throw in the towel, and go look for leftovers...

Tigerbaby1981 07-11-2008 05:51 AM

Sometimes left overs are the best :) soo easy and nothing to worry about.

Elizabeth A. 07-11-2008 06:09 AM

Yes, unless you have a husband that doesn't like leftovers. :roll: I end up stuck with them for lunch or when it's just Jessica and I. The online time I can get away with it is when it's lasana and after we're done, I stick the "remaining half" straight into the freezer. I can't even get away with serving leftover soup! Seriously now, what do you do with leftover soup?

When it's mostly broth left I freeze it and use it next time as a "soup base", but I have no idea what to do with leftover soup, except eat it, and homemade chicken noodle soup leftover might be good once or twice or even three times, but not more than that.

Tigerbaby1981 07-11-2008 06:12 AM

Left over soup.. not too sure.. I know with pasta I usually make a cassorele or something. Ya we have been back with left overs. Not getting around to eating them. But I try not to make too much or make something I can make into something else.

Elizabeth A. 07-11-2008 06:21 AM

With pasta I take all the leftovers and put them into freezer containers and stick them in the freezer and then I use the whenever I need a bit of pasta, as in chicken noodle soup, or as you say casseroles.

For soup, it's funny most people say they use their leftovers to make soup, not what to do with it once you've got it. ;) But I did find one suggestion, to freeze it into serving sided containers, and then it's lunch, but later, instead of tomorrow. I think I'll try it out and see how it goes, as I don't by canned soups, the sodium is just to high. Salt to have flavor doesn't really work for me.

Tigerbaby1981 07-11-2008 06:23 AM

I dont eat soup a lot because there was always left overs that never got eaten.. But the single servings sound like a good idea :) I'll have to try it sometime.

Chele 07-11-2008 06:38 AM

I put all my leftovers into single serving containers. Hubby and I eat them for lunches. You can also label and freeze them so you don't get sick of eating the same thing all week. Cooks just like a frozen dinner when you pop it in the microwave.

This works great for soups too. Having homemade chicken noodle soup on hand all the time is great for anyone who isn't feeling well.

Elizabeth A. 07-11-2008 06:45 AM

Chele you made me laugh about single serving chicken soup on hand! At my house I hate "germs". So I will make a huge "VAT" of homemade soup. The sicker the people and or the less I want to be sick, the MORE garlic goes in! Whole bulb garlic sliced in half (parallel to the roots) plus another mushed up in the garlic press is a given in my soup!

Quilt4u 07-11-2008 08:50 AM

There is only two of us now.So I try not to make to much but when I do lunch the next day.

Chele 07-11-2008 09:11 AM

Elizabeth, my kids ask for soup before medication if they are feeling under the weather. I've conned them that chicken soup cures all. And my mom always told me children never get headaches, which I passed on as well! My kids are teens now and it's getting harder to fool them. Especially with Google! LOL!