Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   'Oven Stew' or 'Quilt'in Stew' as I've decied to Call it Now!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/oven-stew-quiltin-stew-ive-decied-call-now-t170018.html)

icon17 11-27-2011 11:31 AM

'Oven Stew' or 'Quilt'in Stew' as I've decied to Call it Now!!

This is a Great Meal!! I've Won Fabric With It!!

'OVEN STEW' Very important-Bake 350, 20 mins- turn down to- 250 6-7+ hrs.

Start in the AM or Do this PM before turn on next day.
LG Roasting Pan spray with Pam
1- Roast, can be any cut your choise- Also can be Frozen!!
put it in your pan.
Now add your Potatoes,onions,celery,carrots,mushrooms,all cut very Large.
1-reg can tomatoe Soup mix with 1-can water pour over top.
Do not add salt/pepper. Cover Bake. All you need is Good Bread!!! :)

sharon1 11-27-2011 04:15 PM

Sounds good. This sounds like it would also work good in the crockpot.

Sandra in Minnesota 11-27-2011 04:41 PM

Yum, sounds great on a cold day.

dglvr 11-28-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 4726784)
Yum, sounds great on a cold day.

Yeah, its cold here I think I'll try it.
Thanks for the recipe

BonniFeltz 11-29-2011 06:13 AM

Sounds good but I think I'd put it in a crockpot to do. I love to do roasts in crock pots. :) I also love your new name for it. Yeah, recipes that get us out of the kitchen and into the quilting room. YAY!

katiebear1 11-29-2011 09:55 AM

If you have an older crockpot it will work, but the new ones now will reach a boil in about 4 hours even on low. My old crockpot from the early 90's conked out and I got a new one. I thought something was wrong with it ,but my daughter told me that the new ones have to get to a certain temp in a certain time to comply with new food safety guidlines! Just another thing the goverment pokes their noses in. Defeats the purpose of a slow cooker.

Thumbilena 11-29-2011 06:36 PM

If you have a black cast iron pot, and put in a couple of bay leaves you will get not only a wonderful meal but a wonderful aroma.

LindaDeeter 11-29-2011 06:45 PM

Yep ... cast iron dutch oven makes the most incredible slow cooked roast, stew ... whatever!

amandasgramma 11-30-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1 (Post 4732862)
If you have an older crockpot it will work, but the new ones now will reach a boil in about 4 hours even on low. My old crockpot from the early 90's conked out and I got a new one. I thought something was wrong with it ,but my daughter told me that the new ones have to get to a certain temp in a certain time to comply with new food safety guidlines! Just another thing the goverment pokes their noses in. Defeats the purpose of a slow cooker.

So THAT's why mine seem to cook faster!!!! I thought I was buying inferior products!!!!!! Thanks for the info!

sassy granny 12-03-2011 07:36 PM

I think I'll try this. It sounds wonderful and the oven makes a better roast than the crock pot does. I've done roast in the oven before and they just have a better flavor and they will brown just a little in the oven.

sassy granny