Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Philly Pie (Pineapple and cream cheese) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/philly-pie-pineapple-cream-cheese-t5804.html)

conblond2005 03-31-2008 12:48 PM

Philly Pie

Description:
Scrumptous family favorite. We call it Pineapple Cream Cheese Pie.

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 (28 oz) can crushed pineapple
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2-9-inch deep dish pie shells
1/2 cup black walnuts, crushed
Cool Whip

Directions:
Mix together 1 cup sugar with cornstarch and pineapple; cook until thick, then cool. Blend cream cheese with 1 cup sugar, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well. Put cooled pineapple into unbaked pie shells. Add cheese mixture on top and sprinkle top with the crushed nuts. Bake in slow oven preheated to 325 degrees until golden brown, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve with Cool Whip.

Number Of Servings:16

Preparation Time:30-45 minutes

Moonpi 03-31-2008 01:32 PM

That sounds great. I don't know where I'd find black walnuts near me, though.

ccbear66 03-31-2008 01:36 PM

That sounds really good. I think that I'll put pecans instead of the black walnuts. Thanks for sharing.

conblond2005 03-31-2008 03:09 PM

I just went to the store and asked them to order the black walnuts. You really do need cool whip on top because it is so rich. Don't think anyone can eat more than one piece.

When I have a few minutes I'll add my New York Style Ameretto Cheese Cake. It's all the rage at church and parties. The crust is made with crushed macaroons. I can't have it around the house because I eat too much. I just love it.

My daughter doesn't like nuts and doesn't like coconut so she uses the vanilla wafer cookies and jsut leave off the nuts.

Connie

live2teach 03-31-2008 06:03 PM

That sounds delicious...I'll have to make some soon.

conblond2005 04-01-2008 10:34 AM

Our family likes it much more than the traditional pumpkin so we make it every holiday. I'll go now and add my Amaretto Cheese Cake. It's better than the pie. Just need a 9-10" spring form pan. I suppose you could use something else though.

Connie

conblond2005 04-01-2008 10:44 AM

1 2/3 cups coconut cookies
1/4 cup butter
5 (8 oz) pkg. of cream cheese
1 1/2 c. Sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/4 cups amaretto liqueur

Crush cookies and mix together with butter. Press on bottom of 10 inch spring form pan. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees and cool. Cream cheese at high speed of mixer until smooth. Add sugar gradually, beating well. Add eggs beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla and Amaretto. Spread over crust and bake at 350 degrees 45-60 minutes or until golden on top.

For a variation use chocolate cookies and creme de menthe. Not as good though for me.

Connie

amma 04-01-2008 02:06 PM

We have black walnuts trees out here, and there is not much difference to me between them and the ones you can readily buy in the store. However when you go to pick them, they do turn your hands an awful color.
My kids daycare had some of these trees, they tried hard to keep them picked up and the kids away from them. One day though, my oldest found a few that were missed and it took almost a week for the stains to vanish :lol: :lol: :lol:

conblond2005 04-01-2008 02:16 PM

My mother-in-law had a tree in Ohio. She picked them with gloves on and threw them down in the drive way. They drove over them to break open the green parts and get to the nut. She had a cement floor in the old basement and they took them down there and broke them open with a hammer. They are really good on the pie but don't think I'd use them in any other recipes.

Connie

SaraSewing 04-03-2008 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by conblond2005
Philly Pie

Description:
Scrumptous family favorite. We call it Pineapple Cream Cheese Pie.

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 (28 oz) can crushed pineapple
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2-9-inch deep dish pie shells
1/2 cup black walnuts, crushed
Cool Whip

Directions:
Mix together 1 cup sugar with cornstarch and pineapple; cook until thick, then cool. Blend cream cheese with 1 cup sugar, salt, eggs, milk and vanilla; beat well. Put cooled pineapple into unbaked pie shells. Add cheese mixture on top and sprinkle top with the crushed nuts. Bake in slow oven preheated to 325 degrees until golden brown, about 1 1/2 hours. Serve with Cool Whip.

Number Of Servings:16

Preparation Time:30-45 minutes

Well, this sounded scrumptous! I tried it for a farewell party at work. It turned out kind of like a custard. Almost everyone liked it, but I had expected more cheesecake and less pineapple. Maybe I did something wrong? Thanx for sharing. Sara