Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Pickle okra (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/pickle-okra-t145190.html)

trrmite 08-14-2011 05:05 PM

I was south and was served pickle okra. Does anyone have a PICKLED OKRA they would not mind sharing?

americassewplace 08-14-2011 05:25 PM

I do. My DH and I put some up this year.

2 lbs Okra
Hot pepper sliced to your desire
1 garlic clove or 1 tsp of crushed garlic
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
4 tbsp of canning salt
4 cups of vineger
1 cup of water

Bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil.
with okra and hot pepper in jars (pack as tight as you can)
Add a tsp of garlic, mustard seed and celery seed to each pint size jar.

Pour boiling water, vinegar and salt mixture into hot jars leaving 1/4" space add lids and let seal. (We did put our jars, after lids were put on, in a canning pot, and boiled for about 10 minutes) just to make sure they got hot enough to seal.

blueangel 08-15-2011 05:24 AM

Sounds like a good recipe. I love pickled okra.

NANACAN 08-15-2011 07:22 AM

Would this also work for pickled green tomatoes? My DH loved the ones my mother canned and I can't find her recipe or remember how she done it.

AnitaSt 08-15-2011 07:45 AM

I use a refrigerator pack recipe to pickle peppers, okra, etc. Heat processing seems to leave the okra too soft, so if you have fridge space, this recipe is great. We often do a mixture of peppers and okra.

Pickled Banana Peppers – Refrigerated Pack

½ cup salt, preferably pickling salt
½ cup sugar
1 qt. white vinegar
½ tsp mustard seed
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric
Crushed red pepper, optional, to taste
2-3 cloves of garlic
2 packed cups sliced sweet banana peppers, seeded
2 sliced jalapeno peppers, seeded

Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. Pack banana pepper rings, jalapenos and garlic into containers. Because the peppers will be stored in the refrigerator, you can use any type of glass container with a tight-fitting lid. Canning jars are not necessary.

Pour hot vinegar solution into filled jars. Allow to cool, then store in refrigerator until opened for serving. After opening, return to refrigerator. Peppers are best if you let them stand in the fridge for 2 weeks before serving.

Recipe makes enough vinegar solution for two quart jars of packed peppers, so adjust as necessary if you have more peppers.

Other vegetables pickle well in this solution such as other types of peppers, small onions, carrot slices or small carrots, cauliflower, okra, etc. Dill (fresh or dried or seed) can be added at the same time as the vegetables.

MillieH 08-15-2011 09:40 AM

If you don't have fresh okra on hand or time for pickling and canning, you can find it in the pickle section of almost any grocery store. Pickled okra is a necessary garnish in any Bloody Mary here in Louisiana.

np3 08-15-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by americassewplace
I do. My DH and I put some up this year.

2 lbs Okra
Hot pepper sliced to your desire
1 garlic clove or 1 tsp of crushed garlic
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
4 tbsp of canning salt
4 cups of vineger
1 cup of water

Bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil.
with okra and hot pepper in jars (pack as tight as you can)
Add a tsp of garlic, mustard seed and celery seed to each pint size jar.

Pour boiling water, vinegar and salt mixture into hot jars leaving 1/4" space add lids and let seal. (We did put our jars, after lids were put on, in a canning pot, and boiled for about 10 minutes) just to make sure they got hot enough to seal.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Alice Woodhull 08-15-2011 05:48 PM

I have a lot of okra this year and used the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. I haven't opened up a jar yet, but here is the recipe if you'd like to try it.

OKRA PICKLES

3 1/2 pounds small okra pods
1/2 cup canning salt
2 teaspoons dill seed
3 cups water
3 cups vinegar
4 cloves garlic
2 small hot red peppers, cut in half

Trim stems of okra, being careful not to cut pods; set aside. Combine salt, dill seed, water and vinegar in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Pack okra into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Put 1 clove garlic and one-half pepper in each jar. Ladle hot liquid over okra, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust 2-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in boiling-water canner. Caution: When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned. I didn't have any peppers so left them out.

trrmite 08-15-2011 07:48 PM

Thanks to all for sharing.My okra was/is fresh from my BIL garden. I did not want it to go bad before I found a recipe.It has been in the freezer for a week. Can I still pickle it? And do I use white or Apple Cider vinegar?

Alice Woodhull 08-16-2011 04:12 PM

I use white distilled.