Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Please share bread recipes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/please-share-bread-recipes-t172130.html)

dixie_fried 12-15-2011 12:23 PM

Please share bread recipes?

I'm the only person in my family that bakes bread regularly, and because of that, I get to bring bread to most family meals. I like to try new breads every now and then--loafs and rolls. The recipe I'm sharing is for buttery dinner rolls. I made them at Thanksgiving, and they were SOOO good. Soft, buttery, fragrant. Please share your favorites!

http://www.howdoesshe.com/delicious-dinner-rolls

ptquilts 12-16-2011 07:45 AM

Hi Dixie - here is my recipe that I make over and over. Makes 2 loaves, I usually add raisins, nuts, and cinnamon to one.

1 1/2 c warm water in bowl. Add
6 T. brown sugar
2 T. yeast

in small pot melt 3 T. butter, when melted take off heat and add 1 1/2 c. milk.

Add to yeast. Add 1 T. salt.

Add 3 c. whole wheat flour, 3 cups white flour, add more white flour to right consistency.

Knead 10 minutes, back in bowl, let rise til double. (covered with damp cloth)

shape into two loaves, (add raisins here if you are making raisin bread). Add extra flour if dough is goopy. You want a nice stiff dough to avoid "mushroom top" bread.

put in loaf pans, put in warm oven to rise with a pan of water underneath.

When almost to top of pans, cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. It will rise more in the oven. Don't forget to take the pan of water out first, I always forget this!!

This bread keeps a LONG time in the fridge, I just slice it as I need it.

grammy Dwynn 12-16-2011 09:31 AM

here is one that a friend shared with me years ago;

Depression Bread

1st Part
Dissolve 2 pkgs yeast in 1 cup lukewarm water
Add 4 1/2 cups lukewarm water & 3 cups flour
Mix well. Let set until bubbles form

2nd Part
2 scant Tablespoons Salt
heaping 1/2 cup Sugar
3/4 cup shortening
Cream sugar, salt and shortening.

The add 1st part to 2nd part

Add 7 - 8 cups flour
mix well

Let rise 2 times,
then form into rolls

dixie_fried 12-16-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 4785957)
Hi Dixie - here is my recipe that I make over and over. Makes 2 loaves, I usually add raisins, nuts, and cinnamon to one.

1 1/2 c warm water in bowl. Add
6 T. brown sugar
2 T. yeast

in small pot melt 3 T. butter, when melted take off heat and add 1 1/2 c. milk.

Add to yeast. Add 1 T. salt.

Add 3 c. whole wheat flour, 3 cups white flour, add more white flour to right consistency.

Knead 10 minutes, back in bowl, let rise til double. (covered with damp cloth)

shape into two loaves, (add raisins here if you are making raisin bread). Add extra flour if dough is goopy. You want a nice stiff dough to avoid "mushroom top" bread.

put in loaf pans, put in warm oven to rise with a pan of water underneath.

When almost to top of pans, cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. It will rise more in the oven. Don't forget to take the pan of water out first, I always forget this!!

This bread keeps a LONG time in the fridge, I just slice it as I need it.

Thanks, Barb! Sounds really good. Do you plump the raisins before you add to the dough?

dixie_fried 12-16-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn (Post 4786315)
here is one that a friend shared with me years ago;

Depression Bread

1st Part
Dissolve 2 pkgs yeast in 1 cup lukewarm water
Add 4 1/2 cups lukewarm water & 3 cups flour
Mix well. Let set until bubbles form

2nd Part
2 scant Tablespoons Salt
heaping 1/2 cup Sugar
3/4 cup shortening
Cream sugar, salt and shortening.

The add 1st part to 2nd part

Add 7 - 8 cups flour
mix well

Let rise 2 times,
then form into rolls

Grammy Dwynn, how long and what temperature do these bake?

Up North 12-16-2011 05:37 PM

My favorite easy bread to make. I used to bake bricks! These are great:

Amish White Bread

1 pk dry yeast
1.2 c warm water
1/3 c sugar
2 tsp salt
2 c warm water
2 ½ TBL melted shortening or veg, oil
6 c flour

Dissolve yeast in ½ c warm water
In a large bowl combine sugar, salt, 2 c warm water and shortening. Stir in yeast mixture. Gradually add flour to form a soft dough. Mix together until smooth. (with hands)
Place in greased bowl, cover let rise 2 hours. Punch down divide in two to form two loaves. Place in greased bread pans, let rise 2 hours.
Bake at 350 got 25 to 30 minutes.

dixie_fried 12-16-2011 05:57 PM

Thanks, Donna.
Without digging thru my recipe box, I think this is the same "Amish White Bread" I make. This one and one I make with instant potatoes are our sandwich breads...I use them for the kids lunch box sandwiches. Good stuff!

NDQuilts 12-16-2011 06:08 PM

Dee's Health Bread

INGREDIENTS:*
2 tablespoons active dry yeast*
1 teaspoon white sugar*
1/2 cup warm water*
3 1/2 cups warm water*
1/4 cup honey*
1/4 cup molasses*
1/2 cup vegetable oil*
2 eggs*
2 tablespoons lemon juice*
7 cups whole wheat flour*
1/4 cup flax seed*
1/4 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4 teaspoons salt*
4 cups bread flour*
DIRECTIONS: 1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water. In a large bowl, mix remaining 3 1/2 cups warm water, honey, molasses, oil, eggs and lemon juice. Mix well. Add yeast mixture and stir. 2. Gradually add 5 cups whole wheat flour beating well after each addition. Add the flax, cracked wheat and sunflower seeds, stir well. 3. Let stand for 20 minutes, until mixture is very light. Stir in salt and the rest of the flours until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. 4. Knead 10 to 15 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a greased bowl and cover, let rise in the oven with light on until doubled, about 1 hour. 5. Punch down and shape into 6 round balls. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes. 6. Form into loaves and let rise covered in oven until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) 25-35 mins.

This is our sandwich bread. I bake 5 loaves, as opposed to the recipes 6, and freeze until we are ready for them. Tomorrow is my bread day so I may try another recipe to change things up.

dixie_fried 12-16-2011 08:17 PM

Oh, NDQuilts...this one sounds really good! I will have to get some of the ingredients I don't have on hand, but, I will definitely try this one!

ptquilts 12-17-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried (Post 4787356)
Thanks, Barb! Sounds really good. Do you plump the raisins before you add to the dough?

I never thought of that but maybe I should.