Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/pressure-cooker-vs-instant-pot-t285660.html)

quiltbuddy 01-31-2017 06:07 AM

Pressure cooker vs. Instant Pot

I've been tempted to buy an Instant Pot. I have a Fagor pressure cooker that I love but have been tempted by all the other things an Instant Pot can do such as make yogurt and slow cook and I do need a new slow cooker. I inherited an older electric pressure cooker that an elderly aunt had bought off of the Home Shopping Network and tried using it a few times but it took twice as long as something I would cook on my stovetop pressure cooker. My question is does the Instant Pot take longer than a stovetop pressure cooker?

Diannia 01-31-2017 07:55 AM

IDK the answer to your question but wanted to let you know you can make yogurt using a crock pot. I've done it many times and it turns out nicely...

slbram17 01-31-2017 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbuddy (Post 7753627)
I've been tempted to buy an Instant Pot. I have a Fagor pressure cooker that I love but have been tempted by all the other things an Instant Pot can do such as make yogurt and slow cook and I do need a new slow cooker. I inherited an older electric pressure cooker that an elderly aunt had bought off of the Home Shopping Network and tried using it a few times but it took twice as long as something I would cook on my stovetop pressure cooker. My question is does the Instant Pot take longer than a stovetop pressure cooker?

Just in case you are on facebook, there are groups dedicated to instant pot and/or pressure cookers. Lots of members here to help with your questions. I am thinking about an instant pot too. I use the old fashioned pressure cooker now.

suern3 01-31-2017 03:29 PM

I don't have an answer either, but I'm sure interested in the Instant Pot because of all the different things it can do. I like the idea of being able to sauté and use as crockpot or pressure cooking, mainly because of what I've read here. Sounds perfect for our motorhome as it has so many uses. So I've been looking at Amazon and now I see the one I want says it will ship in 2 or 3 months. What's up with that? I know, I should ask Amazon:(

Needles 02-01-2017 06:53 AM

Maybe they are waiting for shipment, especially if made in China. I'm sticking with my crockpot, have used them since their appearance on the market. They usually have a meal or dessert in them a couple times a week.

dms 02-01-2017 07:57 AM

The instant pot takes a little bit longer than a stove top because stove tops are 15psi and electronic pressure cookers are about 12psi, but the electronic ones are worth every penny. You can literally set it and walk away, there is no noise like the stove top jigglers, they don't burn like the stove top ones. I use mine which is an Elite several times a week. They are wonderful.

Bjbaxter 02-01-2017 01:45 PM

I bought the Instant Pot using a Black Friday sale thru Amazon (bought 2 for gifts also). I bought it because my daughter raves about hers, and uses is several times a week. I like it, especially for roasts and pulled meats. I takes longer than a stove top one, but the time isn't significant. I wouldn't buy another one unless it was a terrific sale - they are expensive!

doricu2 02-01-2017 03:24 PM

I had another brand electric pressure cooker which I liked and then daughter talked me into the instant pot. I really love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Its so much better than the other. I would recommend that if you get one for you to get the 8qt. duo. the extra dollars are so worth it. It is just me and hubby and I use it at least 3 times a week and making the yogurt is so easy and is way better tasting than store bought.

misseva 02-01-2017 07:16 PM

I never used my stove top pressure cooker much - scared of it exploding. I love my Instant Pot. Automatic, safety shut off if something goes wrong. Did I mention I love my Instant Pot? Gave my crock pot to my daughter.

Stitchnripper 02-01-2017 07:25 PM

I had some experience with a stove top pressure cooker a long time ago. I had to babysit it. Gave it away. Got the instant pot a couple of months ago and love it. There are some tricks to get it to come up to pressure faster like turning it to sauté before you get anything in it and heating the liquids a bit - I love that I can put the ingredients in and set it and go about my business and then there is a delicious meal. I've made rice "pot in a pot" on top of the meal and it comes out great. I've cooked more since I got the Instant pot than in the last year. I haven't used it as a slow cooker - I have several of those. I also like that you can cook frozen meat and it comes out good. I am a fan.