Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Recipe for Easter Ham (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/recipe-easter-ham-t184926.html)

callen 04-03-2012 11:27 AM

Recipe for Easter Ham

Does anyone have a tasty recipe for doing this weeks Easter Ham. I've been told about apple juice, coca cola etc. Is there anything else out there (that's easy) that would turn a "good" ham into an "extraordinary" ham?
Tks for the suggestions.

irishrose 04-03-2012 12:29 PM

Brown sugar, orange or pineapple juice and mustard rubbed on with the ham in a cooking bag. I used to use dry mustard, but good old yellow mustard seems to work. My family doesn't like a lot of 'stuff' on the ham, but this adds a nice flavor and color.

ido2much 04-04-2012 03:55 AM

Make a paste with brown sugar and the juice from one can of pineapple. rub on ham, place in large baking bag. Pour a can or small bottle of ginger ale over it. Delicious and keeps the ham very moist.

Pam Riggs 04-04-2012 10:32 AM

I mix brown sugar, a little honey, a dash of clove, mix it and pour over ham. then when it is almost finished baking, add pineapples to it. Yummy

QuiltingrandmafromMi 04-04-2012 01:25 PM

It sounds ghastly, but, I use a can of cherry pie filling and spread over the ham, yum!

Tink's Mom 04-04-2012 04:41 PM

I use brown sugar and a can or two of mandarin oranges. Pour a can of ginger ale into the pan. It changes up the taste. My son thinks this is really great. He's made it this way for company.

QuiltingNinaSue 04-05-2012 07:48 AM

Grandmother used the stick cloves, she would criss cross shallow cut lines across the top of ham and stick the clove piece into the "diamonds" and use brown sugar and pineapple on the ham. It was roasted slowly at about 325 degrees. She may have reserved the pineapple until about 30 minutes before she removed it from the oven. Just "patted' it down with the pineapple juice and brown sugar crust while it baked.

I am using the ham sliced by the butcher almost 1/2 inch thick in a cake pan, covered with the pineapple juice and brown sugar. I will add the slices about 30 minutes before I remove it from the oven. Then I remove it from the pan and put it on the meat plate and drizzle the brown sugar sauce over the meat and add the pineapple slices to "dress" it up a bit. My sweet potatoes will made with apples, marshmallows, brown sugar will compliment the ham. Green beans and corn dishes will give the table more color. Dessert will be a rolled jelly cake and Ice cream.

cindit 04-05-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5113885)
Brown sugar, orange or pineapple juice and mustard rubbed on with the ham in a cooking bag. I used to use dry mustard, but good old yellow mustard seems to work. My family doesn't like a lot of 'stuff' on the ham, but this adds a nice flavor and color.

I do this but use the dry mustard (in the spice section). I also score the ham and put a clove in the intersection of the cuts. I put pineapple on the ham and if the pineapple is on a rounded part, I stick half of a toothpick in the center to hold it up. Then I put some of the mixture (I usually use very little juice to keep the mixture more solid so it sticks to the ham better) on the ham to bake. I put a little more juice in the remaining mixture to put on toward the end.

gotta-sew 04-05-2012 11:49 AM

My mom taught me to rub the outside with prepared mustard and then pack with brown sugar. Then attach pineapple rings using toothpicks with marchino cherries in the middle of the pineapple rings. Pretty and yummy. My son thought we should have spareribbs for Easter. After typing this, I want Ham :)

callen 04-05-2012 12:18 PM

These recipes are making me very hungry for ham. I don't know if I can wait til Easter. Tks everyone.