Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/recipes-t129852.html)

katybob 06-13-2011 06:39 AM

I have the same question. What is SR flour?[/quote]

Self rising flour

violets4me123 06-13-2011 08:03 AM

thank you! lol at myself, should've known.

Carol's Quilts 06-13-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by katybob
Here's our family's favorite. It's from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

Rich Corn Cake

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
2/3 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, well beaten
4 tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425º. Butter a 9 x 9 x 2" pan. Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt and mix well. Quickly add the sour cream, milk, eggs, and butter. Stir just to mix. Spoon into pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Cool and cut in squares.

We always make it in a cast iron skillet (I think it's a 10" skillet) and put it in the oven with about 5 tbsp. butter while the oven's preheating. Then you've got your 4 tbsp. butter and your skillet's greased.

This sounds wonderful! Anything with sour cream in it will always be nice and moist. Thanks.

grannypat7925 06-13-2011 09:56 AM

Self rising (SR)

greaterexp 06-13-2011 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is from a collection of our family's recipes for my daughter. I also make this with no added sugar by substituting whole wheat pastry flour for the all-purpose and Splenda for the sugar. My family actually likes the sugar-free version just as well.

Cornbread recipe
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210950[/ATTACH]

MissJMac 06-13-2011 02:07 PM

YOU GOT IT!!! The secret to a good moist batch of cornbread is the "SOUR CREAM". Add a cup to your recipe and cut back a bit on the liquid (milk/buttermilk) to maintain the proper consistency.

ncredbird 06-13-2011 06:21 PM

After years of experimentation this is the only one we will use. It is a combination of several and my own ideas and my family loves it. My only criteria is that you can't make decent cornbread if you don't use a cast iron skillet! It is light and moist with a slightly crunchy crust.

Ann's Favorite Corn Bread
Combine the following ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine:
1 cup self rising corn meal - we like yellow but you can use white
1/2 cup self rising flour
2 Tablespoons sugar - or Splenda
2 large pinches baking soda
2 large pinches ground red pepper flakes (I take red pepper flakes and run them through a spice grinder) you can omit
1/2 of an onion - minced (or you can use 1 Tablespoon dried and pulverized in a mortar and pestal) you can omit
1/2 cup cheddar cheese - you can omit
Jalapeno pepper to taste - you can omit
Combine the following in a blender:
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons olive oil - or any oil

Set oven to 400 degrees. Place a greased 9" cast iron skillet into the oven while it is preheats.
Mix first set of ingredients and set aside. Mix blender ingredients until corn is almost pulverized beyond recognition but you can still see little bits of it. (it shouldn't take long) Mix the wet ingredients into the bowl and stir only enough to combine and moisten. Pour mixture into the hot cast iron skillet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until it tests done in the middle. It should be nice and brown on the outside. Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and serve. If you are brave you can try to invert the skillet but those babies are heavy. I cut and serve it from the skillet. Makes 8 servings.

craftybear 06-14-2011 11:14 AM

thanks for the recipes, yummy

jamie Watson 06-17-2011 04:25 AM

I use corn meal mix,1 cup cornmeal and 1 1/2 cups self rising flour,1 egg,1/4 cup oil,milk to make it as thin as you want.