Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Share Your Favorite Salads, Veggie etc. Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/share-your-favorite-salads-veggie-etc-please-t124214.html)

Scrap Happy 05-19-2011 07:42 AM

Hi Everyone! Would you be able to share some of your favorite salad veggie, fruit, turkey & chicken recipes?
DH had a physical and has to lose some weight.
Thank you!

QuiltE 05-19-2011 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Hi Everyone! Would you be able to share some of your favorite salad veggie, fruit, turkey & chicken recipes?
DH had a physical and has to lose some weight.
Thank you!

There's no magic weight loss pixie dust in new recipes!!

As a WW member for over eleven years, I'd really recommend your DH and yourself join as well. You can learn so much more about how to lose the weight and keep it off, than just changing your menus and recipes. There's no food you must eat and no food you absolutely can't eat. It's a great program!

Good Luck!

Scrap Happy 05-19-2011 11:14 AM

Thanks QuiltE for your thoughts! My philosophy is eat less, exercise more. Everything in moderation. I’ve recently lost 30 lbs. and am now no longer over weight. For me it’s a life style change not a "diet" I also try to avoid processed foods. Just want to come up with recipes that my husband will enjoy that are healthier.

Edited: I forgot to mention it's been a slow but steady process, I started last October.

QuiltE 05-19-2011 12:50 PM

Well Done! Exactly the WW style ... lifestyle not diet mentality! And slow and steady wins the race!

kso 05-19-2011 01:09 PM

I substitute drained, canned carrots for fresh.
Marinated Carrots

Ingredients
2 pounds carrots, sliced
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
Directions
1.Bring a large pot of water to boil, add carrots and simmer until tender, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.In a large bowl, whisk together the soup, sugar, vinegar, oil, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Add carrots, celery, onion and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to allow carrots to marinate.

From allrecipes.com, my favorite "cookbook".

oatw13 05-19-2011 04:45 PM

We make up a lot of stuff on the fly. But, as you have already learned, a great way to lose weight and keep it off is to cut out all processed, pre-packaged foods and eat fresh, homemade foods.

Also, if he is a soda drinker, cutting that out will help.

Just keep reminding him, everything in moderation. Nothing should be completely off limits.

Best of luck.

Scrap Happy 05-20-2011 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by kso
I substitute drained, canned carrots for fresh.
Marinated Carrots

Ingredients
2 pounds carrots, sliced
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
Directions
1.Bring a large pot of water to boil, add carrots and simmer until tender, approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2.In a large bowl, whisk together the soup, sugar, vinegar, oil, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Add carrots, celery, onion and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to allow carrots to marinate.

From allrecipes.com, my favorite "cookbook".

Thank you kso!

Scrap Happy 05-20-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by oatw13
We make up a lot of stuff on the fly. But, as you have already learned, a great way to lose weight and keep it off is to cut out all processed, pre-packaged foods and eat fresh, homemade foods.

Also, if he is a soda drinker, cutting that out will help.

Just keep reminding him, everything in moderation. Nothing should be completely off limits.

Best of luck.

You are so right about eating homemade foods. It takes time but tastes so much better and is better for us. Thanks too for the soda tip. I FINALLY got DH to stop drinking soda about 6 months ago. I don't care for soda only drink it at other people's homes when they serve it with a meal. I drink water with fresh squeezed lemon juice all day long.

Annevc 05-20-2011 05:05 AM

I make this for family and friends and they love it. Sounds strange but very good.

Lemon Blueberry & Chicken Salad

2 c. fresh blueberries, divided
1 container low fat Lemon Yogurt
3 Tbl. Mayo
Salt (if needed)
2 c. cooked, cubed chicken breast
½ c. sliced green onions
¾ C. diagonally sliced celery
½ C. diced sweet red pepper

Reserve a few blueberries for garnish. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayo, and salt. Add remaining blueberries, the chicken, green onions, celery, and the bell pepper; mix gently. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend, at least 30 minutes. Serve over endive or other greens, garnish with remainder blueberries and lemon slices, if desired.

Scrap Happy 05-20-2011 05:24 AM

Annevc, thank you! This looks delicious. The blueberries don’t sound strange at all.