Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   SQUASH CASSEROLE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/squash-casserole-t128686.html)

#1piecemaker 06-07-2011 04:42 AM

Here is a good recipe for all those fresh squash that is coming off this time of year.

Squash Casserole

2 medium yellow squash
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs or cracker crumbs
1/3 cup shredded cheese
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons oleo, devided

Cook squash and onions and place in small amount of salt water until tender. Drain. Add bread crumbs, reserveing 1 tablespoon for top. Add cheese, egg, salt, pepper and 2 tbsp. oleo. Spoon into greased casserold dish Top with remaining bread crumbs. and dot with remaining butter. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 4 servings.

MellieKQuilter 06-07-2011 07:12 AM

YUM! Thanks for sharing!

KimmieH 06-07-2011 08:07 AM

sounds good.....what kind of cheese do you use?

ScubaK 06-07-2011 10:00 AM

What is Oleo?
K

#1piecemaker 06-07-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
What is Oleo?
K

I knew somebody was going to ask me that. Oleo is margarine. that is a brand name from my mama's era and we've just always called it that.

#1piecemaker 06-07-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by KimmieH
sounds good.....what kind of cheese do you use?

I use cheddar.

Carol's Quilts 06-07-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
What is Oleo?
K

Boy, do I feel old now. It is the name commonly used for oleomargarine.

The first oleo (margarine) on the market came in a plastic bag and was white creamy stuff that had a color capsule in it. (Yes, a liquid-filled pill.) You squeezed it until the capsule broke and leaked it's orange-colored contents, then massaged the whole bag until it became a uniform butter color, then you cut the bag and squeezed the stuff into a container with a lid and refrigerated it. It would firm up, then you used it just like you use - well, margarine. It was my job as a kid when mom came home from the store. My dad wouldn't eat it. It was real butter for him!

Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm not the only 71-year old who remembers this!

Needles 06-08-2011 03:51 AM

My mom tried it once, my dad and brother said this is horrible (brother was three) and my brother to this day won't touch margerine. My grandparents were farmers, and sold milk to a dairy. Butter was and is always in the 'icebox!' Does that make you feel better Carol's Quilts?

Daryl 06-08-2011 05:21 AM

I remember doing the same as Carol. It tasted terrible but was what my parents could afford. Butter was a rare treat.
Margarine now tastes like real butter and I use both.

I also use to call fabric "material" until someone questioned how old I was. lol Now it is fabric.

Daryl

PensyDutch 06-08-2011 06:54 AM

Nope, you are not the only 71 year old that remembers this. Count me in. My siblings and I used to hope we would be the one picked to break the golden egg and mix it into the white stuff that looked like lard. Recently told my grandchildren about this and they were all in agreement that they had never heard of this before.