Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Stuffed Shells from the 5/29 Atlanta Board Meetup (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/stuffed-shells-5-29-atlanta-board-meetup-t126601.html)

teacherbailey 05-29-2011 06:23 PM

1 box Bertolli or other brand large/jumbo pasta shells
1 huge ricotta cheese
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 huge jar spaghetti sauce

Cook the shells according to package directions for al dente shells. Drain well and let cool 5 minutes. Slosh about 1/4" sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish, tilt to cover entire bottom. Mix ricotta cheese, about half of mozzarella, eggs and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Take a cooked pasta shell in one hand and put a teaspoonful (not measuring tsp; the kind used for stirring) of cheese mixture in it. Wrap pasta around cheese to close shell and then put in sauce in pan. Repeat to cover bottom of pan. Cover shells with sauce. Make another layer if you need to; this will depend of size of casserole dish. Top with about 1/2" or more of sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Turn off oven, sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella over the top and let sit in oven 15 minutes or until melted. Serve with BIG spoon!

sweet 05-30-2011 03:35 AM

Sounds great and the directions make it look easy! Thanks.

Edie 05-30-2011 04:00 AM

I make this all the time and just love it! Edie

PS - I use cottage cheese instead of Ricotta!

imaquilternga 05-30-2011 09:19 AM

Thanks for the recipe - the Stuffed Shells were delicious & I definitely plan to make this!

rndelling 05-30-2011 09:45 AM

I do this using my lasagne recipe with cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream.
Also found that filling them is much easier using a pastry bag.

teacherbailey 05-30-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by rndelling
I do this using my lasagne recipe with cream cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream.
Also found that filling them is much easier using a pastry bag.

YUM!!!! I'm not a huge fan of ricotta so that sounds really good. Hadn't thought about the pastry bag idea but it does sound much easier!

craftybear 06-01-2011 01:43 PM

thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
1 box Bertolli or other brand large/jumbo pasta shells
1 huge ricotta cheese
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 huge jar spaghetti sauce

Cook the shells according to package directions for al dente shells. Drain well and let cool 5 minutes. Slosh about 1/4" sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish, tilt to cover entire bottom. Mix ricotta cheese, about half of mozzarella, eggs and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Take a cooked pasta shell in one hand and put a teaspoonful (not measuring tsp; the kind used for stirring) of cheese mixture in it. Wrap pasta around cheese to close shell and then put in sauce in pan. Repeat to cover bottom of pan. Cover shells with sauce. Make another layer if you need to; this will depend of size of casserole dish. Top with about 1/2" or more of sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Turn off oven, sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella over the top and let sit in oven 15 minutes or until melted. Serve with BIG spoon!

dashton4 06-03-2011 07:46 AM

My family loves stuffed shells. Then one day I had the bright idea of adding cubes of leftover ham to the cheese filling. That was an even bigger hit and it gave me a new way of getting rid of leftover ham :-)

babyboomerquilter 06-14-2011 12:57 PM

Thanks so much for this recipe! Sounds yummy and easy!

sandilee 06-14-2011 02:30 PM

Thanks for this easy recipe. This is what I fixed tonight.
We love it!
Great tip with melting the cheese.