Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Sweet onions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/sweet-onions-t193701.html)

Phyllis nm 07-05-2012 08:51 AM

Sweet onions

I love onions! Sweet onions!<o:p></o:p>
I dice my onions, rinse them then put them in a sealed dish of milk and put in the frig. In about an hour they are sweet onions. I keep them several days, and add to everything.<o:p></o:p>

Latrinka 07-06-2012 04:06 AM

I like cooking with em, but can't stand em raw!

pjaco 07-06-2012 04:14 AM

I will be trying this, Thanks Phyllis

DaylilyDawn 07-06-2012 02:17 PM

If you don't like the raw "bite" an onion has, try this little trick. Rinse your onions under hot water making sure that all onion slices get under the water. it works like a charm. I make a cucumber and onion salad to take to my daylily club's annual end of year picnic in June and I tried it. Everyone who ate it wanted to know if I used a Valdalia onion. I said no I just used a regular onion. Try it and you will be surprised.

maxnme01 07-06-2012 06:46 PM

If you want something really good for he BBQ, cut the top (not root) end off of the onion so there's a flat surface. Leave skin intact. Place on a double square of foil with flat side up. Place large dollop of butter on top. Pull foil up and seal tightly. Place on hot BBQ with sealed top up so butter doesn't run out and flare up. "Bake" until everything else is done. Oh 15-20 minutes depending upon size of onion.

Unwrap, pop off the skin, cut up and serve with the rest of your meal. The onion is sweet and tasty.

karenpatrick 07-07-2012 07:23 AM

I have done this for years with all sorts of onions. Could make a meal of just the onions, they are soooo good.

Originally Posted by maxnme01 (Post 5344641)
If you want something really good for he BBQ, cut the top (not root) end off of the onion so there's a flat surface. Leave skin intact. Place on a double square of foil with flat side up. Place large dollop of butter on top. Pull foil up and seal tightly. Place on hot BBQ with sealed top up so butter doesn't run out and flare up. "Bake" until everything else is done. Oh 15-20 minutes depending upon size of onion.

Unwrap, pop off the skin, cut up and serve with the rest of your meal. The onion is sweet and tasty.

JanieH 07-07-2012 12:24 PM

Mmmm ! Love onions and these suggestions sound great! Thanks for sharing!

LynnVT 07-07-2012 12:27 PM

Yum. I have to try the milk idea, and the other suggestions sound good, too. Plan on making chicken stirfry for supper with yellow, orange, green peppers, onions, carrots and whatever other veggies are lurking in my veggie drawer. Will serve with brown rice.

bmanley 07-07-2012 03:52 PM

If you like banana peppers but don't like the hot ones, soak them in milk and they will not be hot anymore. I tried this and it does work.

lhunt825 07-07-2012 04:05 PM

For a real treat try this. Slice cucumbers and onions and place in a bowl. Mix sour cream, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over onions and cucumbers and mix. This is great with green beans.