Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/thanksgiving-dinner-ideas-t144188.html)

lynn7448 08-10-2011 03:22 PM

Hi!
Won't be long and I will be holding Thanksgiving dinner at my house (I know I am pushing the season). Had ham last year and really do not want to prepare turkey, as that opens up another agenda.
Any other ideas for this holiday dinner? I am open to any suggestions you throw my way. There was a Chicken Ricotta recipe here that sounded pretty good and also possibly Chicken Cordon Bleu. But, are they a holiday dish? Seafood?
Help!!! Thanks, Lynn

gmaybee 08-10-2011 04:08 PM

The pilgrims probably had seafood, and venison. LOL Was it ever recorded what they had at the original thanksgiving dinner?

catrancher 08-10-2011 11:49 PM

Prime rib couldn't be simpler--expensive though. If you want to do one, just salt it with garlic salt. That's all I do. Roast at 350°F to desired doneness. It takes 25-30 minutes per pound. Many people do all sorts of fancy stuff to theirs, but my family likes my way.

mjsylvstr 08-11-2011 06:34 AM

One year I was having a large group and I decided on chicken breasts.

I made homemade stuffing .. after I flattened the breasts slightly, I put a good sized scoop of stuffing and rolled the breast around them.

I laid them in a large rectangular pan, sprayed them with a baster and roasted them. They did not take too long to cook and I prepared them a little earlier.
(not too early due to the stuffing)

Take them out, put them on a large platter, and use crabapples and parsley for decoration in between the rolls.

Looks pretty and are very easy to serve.....and does have that holiday aroma throughout the kitchen.

patski 08-11-2011 08:52 AM

I've done prime rib and it was easy and a big hit but if thats' too pricy how about a nice big roast! So many don't have "good old fashioned" meals any more. My son visits and he always asks for meat loaf! He live in NYC and that is one meal that is not found!

Honeynga 08-11-2011 10:20 AM

My thoughts are that the holidays are for family and get togethers....."traditional" food doesn't have to be served...just make what you prefer and enjoy the season. Each year for Christmas we have a family "traditional" seafood gumbo. Different members of the family prepare it each year, always awesome. Original recipe was from a long ago relative that actually lived on a boat in the bayou in Louisiana......recipe has probably evolved considerably since then, but it makes for a good story !

Catherine Marie 08-11-2011 10:27 AM

Love the little fella/gal in your avatar

dhanke 08-11-2011 11:42 AM

I always fondly remember the Thanksgiving when I was about 9 years old and Grandma decided that she just didn't want to cook that year. We all went out (that was quite a treat in itself!) to an Italian restaurant for lasagna. While I've never had lasagna for Thanksgiving (my DH is waaaay too traditional for that) I have often served it on Christmas.

Rann 08-11-2011 02:30 PM

I had a fish fry one year and they didn't ask me to plan it again. I thought it was great myself.

g-maquilts 08-11-2011 04:25 PM

We like brisket, you can make it ahead of time and just reheat when ready to serve.