Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Vegetarian crock pot recipes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/vegetarian-crock-pot-recipes-t168806.html)

HollyDav 11-18-2011 04:21 AM

Vegetarian crock pot recipes?

Hi Everyone -- Since I've found my way back to the quilting world, I think I also need to find my way back to the wonderful world of the crock pot! Are there any other veggie cooks out there?

mayday 11-18-2011 09:01 AM

I have a crock pot but rarely use except if aga off, so don't have any real good recipes ,but think you could adapt Ruth Mott's autumn veg casserole---- chop/cube all root veg, --carrot/parsnip/celery or celariac/turnip/swede/onion 2lb alltold , lightly fry then put together with small amont of stock[don't drown --remember veg gives up it's own liquid and sprig of thyme plus lemon juice then mix in 2 tblsp of plain flour, when cooked inoven do for 2hrs ,serve with grated cheese and brown bread butter; it is rather nice. good cooking.

IdahoSandy 11-18-2011 09:35 AM

I make soup in my crock pot. Small can of tomato sauce and two or more cans of water. Then I add a third sack of slaw mix, then potatoes, carrots,onion, frozen corn, peas and anything else veggie that is left overs still in the refrigerator. Add Mrs Dash seasoning, salt/pepper and Butter or olive oil. After done, I dip out a bowl and add Morning Star griller pattie to my bowl for protein. Morning Star has great sauage patties too(all soy protein).
IdahoSandy

SouthPStitches 11-18-2011 06:33 PM

Homemade beans come out wonderfully in the crockpot; low and slow.

RugosaB 11-19-2011 10:20 AM

Ever since my car accident (brain injury) I have trouble with short term memory. I overcome this problem in cooking, by using the crockpot almost every day.
The vegetable that first comes to mind is sweet potatoes. I just wash them and put them in whole, with maybe 1/4 inch water at the bottem
I leave them in about 3-4 hours, and out comes sweet potatos that I can just slice in half and scoop out with a spoon. I am able to scoop very close to the skin

I plan on doing this the day before Thanksgving and just sticking it in the fridge. Then the next day I'll make whatever recipe that calls for mashed sweet potato

Nana to four 11-19-2011 01:31 PM

Hey, this sounds like a great way to get them cooked, and not have to watch them. I'm going to try it. :)

Nana to four 11-19-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB (Post 4698324)
Ever since my car accident (brain injury) I have trouble with short term memory. I overcome this problem in cooking, by using the crockpot almost every day.
The vegetable that first comes to mind is sweet potatoes. I just wash them and put them in whole, with maybe 1/4 inch water at the bottem
I leave them in about 3-4 hours, and out comes sweet potatos that I can just slice in half and scoop out with a spoon. I am able to scoop very close to the skin

I plan on doing this the day before Thanksgving and just sticking it in the fridge. Then the next day I'll make whatever recipe that calls for mashed sweet potato

Hey, this sounds like a great way to get them cooked, and not have to watch them. I'm going to try it. :)

HollyDav 11-20-2011 03:55 AM

What a nice tip!

elm 11-20-2011 07:30 AM

I use my crockpot for vegitarian cooking, but just use recipes for soup, chili or stews that I've always had. Usually, I cook on slow. I've always started the crockpot early in the day if I want it for the same day. A friend puts her stone ground oatmeal in the crockpot at night before she goes to bed so the cereal is ready for her in the morning.

Originally Posted by HollyDav (Post 4692987)
Hi Everyone -- Since I've found my way back to the quilting world, I think I also need to find my way back to the wonderful world of the crock pot! Are there any other veggie cooks out there?

HollyDav 11-21-2011 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by elm (Post 4701317)
I use my crockpot for vegitarian cooking, but just use recipes for soup, chili or stews that I've always had. Usually, I cook on slow. I've always started the crockpot early in the day if I want it for the same day. A friend puts her stone ground oatmeal in the crockpot at night before she goes to bed so the cereal is ready for her in the morning.

Yes yes, steel cut oats are awesome cooked overnight in the crockpot. Nice to wake up to on a cold New England morning!