Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   We cooked our 18 lb Turkey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/we-cooked-our-18-lb-turkey-t206699.html)

DebbE 11-24-2012 03:24 AM

And yes, it makes stellar gravy, too.... : )

Girlfriend 11-24-2012 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by DebbE (Post 5675849)
And yes, it makes stellar gravy, too.... : )

Thank you DebbE! I will give it a try. BTW, why the paprika? I've never heard of that.

bobbie1 11-24-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead (Post 5673959)
in a roaster over this time and it came out GREAT! We usually have a larger Turkey, but the roaster only holds a 20 pounder.
Cooked on high for 1 hour, so it would brown, and then turn it down to medium to low for 3 hours.

This left room in the oven for the broccoli casserole, sweet potato souffle, scallop potatoes with cream cheese, and an extra pan of cornbread stuffing. Everything turned out great this year.
Altho, it always turns out great every year, this time there was no tention about (what to cook and when.)
The 5 lbs of scallop potatoes were the first to go, then the broccoli casserole.
We will be using the roaster oven from now on!
I was full, fat and sassy. Now I'm sleepy lol
Syl

We used a nesco roaster this year for our 23 lb turkey. Turned out great...moist, delicious!t was the first time but not the last. As you mentioned, freed up oven but also, kitchen as we sat it on our enclosed deck to cook!!

Jean in Ohio13452 11-24-2012 07:28 AM

My husband put 2 - 14 lb turkeys out side this morning in the 2 smokers... then tonight will get the regular bake in the oven Turkey 21 lb- ready for Sunday Dinner with our Kids and Grandkids, my mother and Uncle..I am baking Pumpkin pies later...

GrandmaNewt 11-24-2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452 (Post 5676322)
My husband put 2 - 14 lb turkeys out side this morning in the 2 smokers... then tonight will get the regular bake in the oven Turkey 21 lb- ready for Sunday Dinner with our Kids and Grandkids, my mother and Uncle..I am baking Pumpkin pies later...

Its nice to know that we aren't the only people in the world that feel the need to have more than one smoker! With all that food, you are either feeding a huge crowd of people, or you plan on having lots of leftovers!

charhend 11-24-2012 05:47 PM

My sister and I decided this year to do it very different from the years past. Her husband has terminal cancer and requires a lot of care. My husband can't cook and seems confused in the kitchen! lol. We called up Kroger's and ordered their 13 to 16 lb. turkey and all the sides. Everything is cooked when picked up from the store. You do need to re-heat the turkey for 2 hours and bake the side dishes. The side dishes were, 2 containers of mashed potatoe's, 2 broccoli and rice casserole's, candied yams with apples, 2 sides of corn bread stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls for 12 and 2 pumpkin pies. We could not have cooked a better meal. Everything was seasoned just right and there was more than enough.Oh.....forgot there was also 2 pints of gravey.

champagnebubbles 11-24-2012 06:37 PM

I have cooked all my turkeys in my Nesso roaster for 20 years. Up to 24lbs. Wrap foil around legs and wings, cover with foil until the last hour, uncover to brown. I never stuff them, I put 1large orange and 2 lemons in the cavity. Keeps the turkey very moist. My oven is free for the sides. I have a smaller one I use for roasts and whole chickens.