Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pumpkin Rolls >

Pumpkin Rolls

Pumpkin Rolls

Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 PM

Default Pumpkin Rolls

I bake these every year for family and friends. But my oven is off level and one if not two
(mostly one) corner always seems to be super flat. It just drives me nuts. My cakes don't
do as bad but when I make these it does it every time. My husband has adjusted the stove
a few times. But I guess it is just the floor. Has anyone here made these and also may have
had problems with the edges being crisp? Do or have you trimmed them after you rolled it
or before putting the cream cheese on? Especially since it doesn't cook evenly it rolls funny.
I have already made six of them and am thinking of opening the foil and trimming them.
On some of the ends it looks like there is a gap in some spots. I have been filling it in with
the cream cheese.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:55 AM

I make them every Christmas. My oven is off too but from side to side so one side is smaller than the other. I have to build up the cream cheese, one side is mostly cake the other icing. I think that's while Yule Logs are frosted to cover up. You may be baking it too long if edges are a problem, I do trim the ends once it's rolled and set. It's prettier that way.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

When the oven is cold I would bring up a level to see where the rack is low. If it was just one corner, I would use a metal shim to lift the one edge under the oven rack. I think a metal washer on the rail under the rack might do the trick. I would place the washer on the rail under the low rack edge in a cold oven and use the level to see if it helps. If it looks good I would leave the rack in place and just put the jelly roll sheet in and out without sliding the rack. Just a thought.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM

Default recipe request

Originally Posted by quilterj View Post
I bake these every year for family and friends. But my oven is off level and one if not two
(mostly one) corner always seems to be super flat. It just drives me nuts. My cakes don't
do as bad but when I make these it does it every time. My husband has adjusted the stove
a few times. But I guess it is just the floor. Has anyone here made these and also may have
had problems with the edges being crisp? Do or have you trimmed them after you rolled it
or before putting the cream cheese on? Especially since it doesn't cook evenly it rolls funny.
I have already made six of them and am thinking of opening the foil and trimming them.
On some of the ends it looks like there is a gap in some spots. I have been filling it in with
the cream cheese.

these sound interesting would you be willing to share the recipe?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:42 AM

Are you sure it's the oven and not the jelly roll pan that's not even?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 AM

My problem with these rolls is the cake cracking when unrolling after cooling. What am I doing wrong? Help!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 PM

hmmm! I would try to see if its the pan as well, then try the oven
Old 11-26-2015, 06:51 AM

Do you wet and wring out well the towel you roll the cake in while hot? Mine cracked until I learned to do that.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:07 PM

Yes pm me your email address.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:16 PM

I have problems with the cracking too. I tried using a towel but don't care for it. I use wax paper to bake it and use the same one to roll it with. I lately found that if I use a baking rake and let them cool completely seems to be better most of the time. But like I said I still have some cracking. As for my recipe doesn't say to wrap with a towel I have tried it. But another thought just came to mind. As other recipes say to transfer from wax paper to a towel to roll I wondering about transferring to a clean sheet of wax paper and then roll. Now I just started letting it cook on rakes and let it cool completely witch takes a good while. So I have been baking all my cakes first then frost them when done.