Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Raspberry Custard Brulee >

Raspberry Custard Brulee

Raspberry Custard Brulee

Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 PM

We have black raspberries growing along our back fence, so I needed something I could modify for DH's diabetic diet. We did this one tonight, and it was yummy!! I used 1 Tablespoon of Splenda in the custard (instead of 2T Sugar) and mixed equal amounts of Splenda and Brown Sugar for the topping. It was a bit of standing and stirring at the stove, but oh, so worth it :D

It's an online recipe, so here is the link:
http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/10/rec1087.html

Enjoy!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

Yummy! And I love black raspberries, but they are impossible to find unless you have your own bushes. They don't grow in this part of the country. Eat some for me!!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

wow, never heard of black raspberries,...um, how do you know they're not blackberries? by taste?
I really should learn some of these diabetic recipes. hubby is right on the borderline, and we both need to drop a few pounds.
thanks, Roben :D
Old 06-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
wow, never heard of black raspberries,...um, how do you know they're not blackberries? by taste?
I really should learn some of these diabetic recipes. hubby is right on the borderline, and we both need to drop a few pounds.
thanks, Roben :D
LOL! I grew up down south, and did a fair share of blackberry picking :lol: Sorry, I just couldn't resist! Blackberries are bigger and taste different. There are actually red, yellow, purple and black varieties of raspberries - who knew? :-) (I had to look it up in DH's gardening book!) When we moved in here, we were told that the neighbor behind us had planted them several years ago. After they moved, no one took care of the thicket on their side of the fence so it migrated over to our side. I have absolutely no problem taking care of them - they are taking very good care of us :wink:
Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Power Poster

Ohhhh that sounds so good!!!! I love recipes using Splenda or other substitues!!! :D :D :D
I thought blackrasperries grew everywhere??? I would like to try this with raspberries too!!! Do you have any blackcaps growing close by??? I haven't found any around here for years!!!! Not since I was paid to pick them as a kid!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

amma, don't talk about raspberries! I am sooooooooo jealous! My grandfather, God love him, used to call me up and say "I just picked 40 quarts of raspberries so big they fit over my thumb!" And I would reply "You are truly an evil old man!!!!" Then we would both laugh. Frankly, I've never had a raspberry acquaintance that lasted longer than and hour! LOL. And mom would KILL for some black raspberries!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 PM

:D I was at a farmer's market today and asked one of the farmers if they had black rasberries and he will be bringing them within the next couple weeks...this is only the 2nd week for the red rasberries.....yummmm...I ate 1/2 of the pint on the way home....
Old 07-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned

Suzie, like I told my grandfather.............
Old 07-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Do you have any blackcaps growing close by??? I haven't found any around here for years!!!! Not since I was paid to pick them as a kid!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
I used to mke jelly from black caps and use the seeds to infuse vinegar. None here in Florida, either.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 AM

We had red and black raspberry bushes growing up. I'd give a lot for some good fresh black raspberries again.