Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Recipe suggestion needed for picnic >

Recipe suggestion needed for picnic

Recipe suggestion needed for picnic

Old 07-10-2014, 06:14 AM

Default Recipe suggestion needed for picnic

We are going to a picnic on SATURDAY. I need a recipe for a good covered dish to take. I would prefer one that I wouldn't have to worry about spoiling. No desserts, it is going to be provided. It is going to be hot on Saturday. Suggestions, please!!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM

I love picnics! I make an italian style potato salad with no mayo. It's boiled red potatoes (cut up after cooking), fresh green beans (steam first and cut up), and red onion. I also add those little tiny red tomatoes, cut in half if too big. The dressing is a regular vinegarette: olive oil, red wine vinegar or cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt/pepper, and dried oregano. Put the dressing on everything while the potatoes are still hot. I usually chill it for a while, but you can eat it right away.

People like it. It holds up for a while. It can be served cold or at room temp.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Mine is very similar. Yours sounds very yummy!
Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I love picnics! I make an italian style potato salad with no mayo. It's boiled red potatoes (cut up after cooking), fresh green beans (steam first and cut up), and red onion. I also add those little tiny red tomatoes, cut in half if too big. The dressing is a regular vinegarette: olive oil, red wine vinegar or cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt/pepper, and dried oregano. Put the dressing on everything while the potatoes are still hot. I usually chill it for a while, but you can eat it right away.

People like it. It holds up for a while. It can be served cold or at room temp.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM

How about homemade pork n beans which can be made in a crock pot the nite before. Or a 3 bean salad which has a vinegar and sugar dressing-no mayo. A relish tray, cucumber salad. Or take pillsbury biscuit mix and flatten them a bit, line a cupcake pan with the dough, add some cheese and pepperoni to them-bake according to directions. Make ur own lil pizza cups ith your own preferred ingrediants.

Last edited by lildinks2013; 07-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 AM

Everyone loves fruit salad! and this time of year gives great fresh fruits. Berries, strawberries, lopes, peaches.... My secret is a can of black cherries, juice & all, just gives a great flavor & everyone loves it!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:19 AM

I just discovered that making a vinegarette with lime juice (bottled is fine), olive oil, a little sugar and salt and pepper is very different and very tasty. I put it on kale salad---basic salad ingredients but with kale as the green instead of lettuce. You could easily take this to the picnic. The kale doesn't wilt like the other kinds of greens so you could even dress and toss before you left the house. My kale salad had a couple of chopped boiled eggs, some big-dice cucumber, red onion slivers, halved grape tomatoes and some leftover spinach leaves.....I made it up on the spot when I didn't feel like cooking dinner but it will be a "go to" dinner from now on. I will also add leftover chicken, etc. sometimes.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 AM

mmmmm all these recipes sound yummy my favorite salads I'm not much of a mayo fan but give me anything with vinegarette dressing
Old 07-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Boy, these all sound good.
I decided to make a tomato, zucchini, and onion salad. Just dice them all in smaller pieces and add a vinegarette dressing. And some basil if desired. Also can add walnuts or even a package of the glazed walnuts. I just am tired of making the same things for picnic. I just tried this recipe the other day at a friends. I loved it. I guess it is best if the dressing is one it for at least an hour before serving.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:28 AM

I like a Combo Veggie and Fruit and Pasta Salad... Made with Small pieces of Broccoli, Tomato, Cucumbers, Grapes, mandarin Oranges, Chunk pineapple, some onion. Shredded Carrots, and any interesting pasta like bow ties, or the spirials or shells etc, and even can add a drained and rinced can of dark Red Kidney beans or white beans. and Regular Fresh steamed and chilled Green Beans, with any Vinegar type dressing... I love Raspberry Vinaigrette, lightly toss so its not dripping then Chill for couple hours... Yummy ! ! !
Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM

I make a pasta salad with Mostacalli--just a tube-shape pasta. It holds up well and has a vinegar so no worry about spoiling when standing.
Just boil the pasta, rinse well and add veggies of your choice; tomatoes, onion, carrt, peas, slightly cooked, olives, both green and ripe, celery. Just us what you have.
Make the dressing; 1/2 c. vinegar with 1 T. water; 1 and 1/ c. sugar. Mix well pour over salad and marinate well. Stir every few hours to keep moist.
I never bring any of this home when we picnic, ect. Enjoy!!Mariah