Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Rhubarb >

Rhubarb

Rhubarb

Old 06-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Strawberry Rhubarb pie recipe can be found on the Minute tapioca box. I always use both more rhubabrb and strawberries than recipe calls for but it does make a great pie. I grew up eating that pie as did all my siblings annd some of us love it while others hate it. Strange. I do freeze my rhubarb and then use it frozen in my pies or crisps cuz we like it whenever and not just when rhubabrb is in season. I have 1 substantial patch and one that's fixing to become substantial. BTW: My DD's generally don't eat the pies b/c of the rhubarb.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:32 PM

This subject was discussed recently and a lot of great recipes posted on the board here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-129435-1.htm

I filed a lot of them in my MasterCook for future reference. Ann in TN
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM

I LOVE RHUBARB! Used to have it in the yard up north, but it wont grow where I live in SC - so sad! I do miss this and lilacs from up north. Used to make all kinds of things from it, sharet
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama
We have so much Rhubarb and some goes to waste. I would love your recipes, if you would like to share. Please and Thank You.
My Mom's Rhubarb Pie recipe is as follows:
Put 3 cups of chopped rhubarb into unbaked pie shell. Beat together 1 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour and 2 eggs. Pour beaten mixture over rhubarb. Bake 400 degrees for about 30 minuts.

I also found recipes at http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipes
Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by DanaNVa
Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama
We have so much Rhubarb and some goes to waste. I would love your recipes, if you would like to share. Please and Thank You.
My Mom's Rhubarb Pie recipe is as follows:
Put 3 cups of chopped rhubarb into unbaked pie shell. Beat together 1 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour and 2 eggs. Pour beaten mixture over rhubarb. Bake 400 degrees for about 30 minuts.

I also found recipes at http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipes
Thanks Dana! That recipe sounds so simple, I think I'll give it a try before I give away all the rest of my rhubarb. :)

Edited: Forgot to ask ... do you put a top crust on your pie?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Okay, for all of you out there who are thinking it but too polite to say it...YUK!
Had a distant relative (long dead these many years now) who used to pawn her rhubarb pie off on everyone. I can still feel the gag reflex coming on. Slimy, nasty, icky...might as well make okra pie.
LOL dixiechunk!! I think you're the only person I know that doesn't like rhubarb! How long has it been since you tried it? Maybe your tastebuds have changed ... maybe your relative didn't know how to cook rhubarb, maybe that's why you didn't like it!?!?! :)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Oh, no doubt about the fact that this woman may have not been the best cook (although my cousin, her grandson, thought she was the best cook in the world!) and my tastes certainly may have changed but not enough to actually buy rhubarb and cook it myself. If someone said "here try this" I would, but honestly, I don't know a single person in this neck of the woods who makes any rhubarb dishes.
Originally Posted by MinnieKat
Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Okay, for all of you out there who are thinking it but too polite to say it...YUK!
Had a distant relative (long dead these many years now) who used to pawn her rhubarb pie off on everyone. I can still feel the gag reflex coming on. Slimy, nasty, icky...might as well make okra pie.
LOL dixiechunk!! I think you're the only person I know that doesn't like rhubarb! How long has it been since you tried it? Maybe your tastebuds have changed ... maybe your relative tdidn't know how to cook rhubarb, maybe that's why you didn't like it!?!?! :)
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM

No. It has Pennsylvania German roots, and they don't put top crusts on many of their fruit/rhubarb pies.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:37 PM

Rhubarb Squares:

9x13 pan
crust
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter
Mix together until crumbly and pat on the bottom of glass pan.( I use a food processor.)
Bake 12 - 15 minutes @ 350 degrees.

filling
3 eggs
2 1/4 cups sugar
3/8 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
8 cups rhubarb diced

Mix together and spoon onto crust.
Bake 350 degrees for 50 - 60 min.
Let cool slightly before cutting.
Serve warm if possible with ice cream or Cool Whip