Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Rice cooker recipes >

Rice cooker recipes

Rice cooker recipes

Old 12-28-2016, 03:20 PM

Default Rice cooker recipes

I have have seen commercials and recipes for cooking all kinds of foods in a rice cooker. I have just ordered a mini rice cooker from HSN and wonder if any of you friends have any recipes you especially like that I can cook in my new mini rice cooker. I live alone and think this might be a great new addition.
Thanks,
Jo Ann
Old 12-28-2016, 03:41 PM

I bought a "perfect cooker" which is a glorified rice cooker, it makes 5 cups. This is a good size since I usually cook just for my DH & myself and there is not a lot of left-overs. Lately the one thing I love to cook in it, is a single artichoke, it takes about an hour but that is okay, that is about how long it takes on the stove and a lot less mess. (I know you can cook them in the microwave, but we prefer them boiled/steamed.) It is nice if I have left over chicken, I can put a bunch of vegetables in it, put in a can of broth or make it with bullion cubes and let it cook without having to watch it. Basically anything you can cook in a slow cooker you can cook in this - but it will cook a bit faster, and there is a lot less.

Another thing I like is tomato with rice soup, and just make a small amount of rice and when it is done, throw in the soup, let it heat through.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 12-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:08 AM

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I anxiously waiting for mine to arrive. I went to the Aroma rice cooker website and they have lots of recipes there.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM

I like to do lobster in my rice steamer
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM

I have an oval-shaped Oster steamer that cooks rice and I wouldn't want to be without it. I steam chicken, rice, asparagus, ham, cabbage, and potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, "boiled" eggs, etc. I've had it for about 15 years now. I also have another kind of steamer that has a non-stick pot that fits inside and I make rice pilaf and enough soup or stew for myself and my husband in it. I think you'll be happy with yours. As with any new small appliance, you just have to experiment with it until you determine your favorite dishes and the right cooking times for your needs. I find that recipes and instructions in the manual are not always accurate. For example, when I made "boiled eggs" in my steamer, I had to toss out a dozen eggs because the cooking time from the manual was inaccurate. After an adjustment to the cooking time, the eggs turned out perfectly. Another thing that I like to cook in my steamer is salmon. I add lemon juice and dill, cook it 24 minutes, and it is excellent! You will find that it is the perfect and healthy way to cook meals for one or two people. It doesn't heat up your kitchen, and it is easy on your electric bill. And it is easy-peasy to prepare a hearty meal quickly.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 PM

I just got one for Christmas. Have not used it yet. Any info on a good first meal for two? Mayb Orange chicken n rice????

sharon
Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 AM

I purchased 2 of the mini rice cooker. I loved mine so much, I got one for my mother. I think they are very handy for 1 or 2 people.
Mine came with a tray to cook meat or vegetables. Did yours?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:41 AM

I am still waiting for mine to arrive......but I did purchase a separate steamer tray that is being shipped separately. What is your favorite thing to cook in yours?
Old 12-31-2016, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I also got one for Christmas and need recipes/ideas for it. Will be watching.