Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sweet Potato Pie

Sweet Potato Pie

This is a tasty pie but after looking at the recipe again - I am going to cut way back on the sugar in the streusel topping. We've elimanated a lot of sugar in our diets over the last few months and I don't think less sugar will hurt the topping at all. :-)

SWEET POTATO PIE

1 cup mashed sweet potatoes, canned or fresh
    2 large eggs, beaten slightly
    1 cups canned evaporated milk
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon butter
    teaspoon cinnamon
    teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 unbaked deep-dish pie crust

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Mix all ingredients and pour into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes and then turn oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in middle comes out almost clean. Put streusel topping on; cook for additional 5 to 10 minutes.

Streusel Topping

to cup chopped pecans
    to cup brown sugar
    2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter

Mix together and put on top of pie.

Sound delicious. I've never put a topping on one before.

Blog Entries
    This is my favorite pie. I am going to make yours to take to the in-laws. Sounds so delicious with the streusle topping

Blog Entries
    Wrote your recipe down and now to the store. Like to do my grocery shopping early so Wed I can do whatever

I love sweet potato pie - lots more than pumpkin. Been making them for years and I've never put a topping on them. Only use whipped cream. Your recipe is exactly what I have and it is delicious.

Blog Entries
    Bought my stuff for your pie. Now I am ready to roll. Also bought what I need to make refrigerator rolls and strawberry, pecans, sour cream dessert(?) salad. Absolutely the best whatever I have had in years.

Hope everyone enjoys the pie. I've eaten sweet potato pie for years and then run across the streusel topping one day and had to try it. We have pecan trees and usually have lots of pecans (not so good this year - it was too dry I think). I've taken this to pot lucks and it always seems to be a hit. Have a friend whose brother loves it and I often make him a pie of his own to take home so he doesn't eat the one I brought to share. :-)

This looks like my Momma's recipe. She has made it so much that she doesn't have it written down! She is on automatic!
    Carolyn

I make a similar recipe... prefer it to pumpkin!... but I use 2 cups of pumpkin and no streusel topping. It's so good, it doesn't need the extra sweetness or calories.