Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sweetened Condensed Milk

I would smell it, I think you will know if it is spoiled. Probably last as long as milk. I know with milk or canned milk, you pour a bit in hot water or coffee. If it curdles it is bad, if not, it is good.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I have kept SCM in the fridge for weeks and weeks with no ill side effect. I love this stuff. Haven't used it in years but when I was kid and mom opened a can I would eat it right out of the can by the table spoon. Better than any other candy I could think of. She would like me 'sneak' a taste. My mom was a good mom.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Now that sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by KimmerB View Post
    Something new I tried, take the label off the can and submerge it in a crock pot/ slow cooker, make sure can is covered with completely with water. Heat on low 8 hours, cool the can in refrigerator, open the can and you will have a great caramel topping. I transfer it into a covered container and heat it to put over ice cream or in my coffee. Wonderful!
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmerB View Post
    Something new I tried, take the label off the can and submerge it in a crock pot/ slow cooker, make sure can is covered with completely with water. Heat on low 8 hours, cool the can in refrigerator, open the can and you will have a great caramel topping. I transfer it into a covered container and heat it to put over ice cream or in my coffee. Wonderful!
    Warning: This method is dangerous as it may result in an exploding can, so is not recommended. Check out the label on Eagle Brand, which gives the warning and suggests emptying the can into a pie plate and placing in the oven to caramelize.

You can buy SCM already caramelized. It's called Dulce de Leche. Stores stock it right buy the SCM.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Actually with all the sugar in it, it keeps well. Sugar is a good preservative.

Thank you for all the advice...I went to pour some out of the can....didnt move...had to take the top off to get it to move...put in glass container...my molasses moved faster....hehehe....I'll just use a spoon...

I usually put mine in an air tight container and place it in the freezer. It keeps for ages and it doesn't freeze rock solid, so you can still use it immediately when you need it.

joy
    I keep mine in the fridge, in the original tin, for several months... I make lovely biscuits with condensed milk and chocolate in them.... choice... I cover it with gladwrap, then put a paper towel over that with a rubber ring on.... and put it in the back of the fridge where I can't see it.... you will know why.... and just get it out when I need it...
    joy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2