Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sweetened Condensed Milk

Question Sweetened Condensed Milk

How long can you keep once opened

I don't know, but I would think only a day or two at most. If they have a "hot line" for questions, then call the company and ask. Sounds like you may have to make some more yummy treats!

You can keep it a few days, but do not leave it in anything metal~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Power Poster
    Actually, it can be kept in the can in the refrigerator for several days.

I'm not going to tell you how I know this.

Thank you all....I know the old adage of "when in doubt throw it out" but things just cost so much now, hate throwing things out...I figured with as much sugar thats in there should hold it for a while....:-} I'll give it a taste, i guess, if still ok....I'll make donuts......

Something new I tried, take the label off the can and submerge it in a crock pot/ slow cooker, make sure can is covered with completely with water. Heat on low 8 hours, cool the can in refrigerator, open the can and you will have a great caramel topping. I transfer it into a covered container and heat it to put over ice cream or in my coffee. Wonderful!

Blog Entries
    I would immediately transfer to a container with a lid. I would think for a 3-4 days. Just smell or taste it. I don't worry about the "if in doubt throw it out" because I would rather waste a few pennies than spend a few hundred at the drs. office or ER.

as long as it is refrigerated and covered, preferably in a non-acidic storage, container, it actually keeps quite awhile. Especially if you use it for cooking.
    In Spain and Portugal, they use condensed milk for coffee and it keeps a long time in the as i know from experience. It isn't possible to use it very fast when using it for cream/sugar for your coffee

Put it in a glass container with a lid and it will last a long time. froggyintexas

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by KimmerB View Post
    Something new I tried, take the label off the can and submerge it in a crock pot/ slow cooker, make sure can is covered with completely with water. Heat on low 8 hours, cool the can in refrigerator, open the can and you will have a great caramel topping. I transfer it into a covered container and heat it to put over ice cream or in my coffee. Wonderful!

I have wanted to try this .. now I will thanks for being the guinea pig .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast