Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Wanted: suggestions for dh who is toothless this Thanksgiving...soft foods >

Wanted: suggestions for dh who is toothless this Thanksgiving...soft foods

Wanted: suggestions for dh who is toothless this Thanksgiving...soft foods

Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM

I make a dessert every year that gets rave reviews, and I am a diabetic, so I altered it just for me.

Christmas Foam (named by my then 4 year old daughter, since I never had a name for it.)
1 small container low fat small curd cottage cheese
1 small container sugar free dream whip
I small container of fat free sour cream
I small box sugar free jello (any flavor)

Combine first three ingredients in a medium sized non-metal bowl. Sprinkle dry jello over top. Mix in well. Set in the refrigerator for at least an hour. We like to add fruit to ours, but you don't have to. (Yes, it sounds like a strange combination, but give it try. You will be amazed.)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Blend each item separately for him.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM

My DH also has no teeth & he eats everything except nuts & I don't have to put anything in a blender & never have had to. He still east things like Doritos, corn chips, crisp bacon & even corn on the cob. He has dentures but won't use them. My best friends DH is the same. Eats everything but won't wear dentures.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 PM

broccoli casserole that has cheese, broccoli and rice is delicious and easily eaten without teeth. Green bean casserole without the french fried onions, carrot coins, dressing with ground turkey giblets. A sweet potato with Splenda and cinnamon is delicious. No salt, but use a little margarine or butter.
Nice blessing that you have him.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM

If you have any left over ham, you could make ham salad, I started doing that last year and love it.....
Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 PM

Hash Brown Casserole..from Carnation

2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
3 cartons (4 oz. each) cholesterol-free egg product or 6 large eggs, well beaten
1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pkg. (30 oz.) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
10 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped, or 1 cup diced ham or sub cooked sausage
Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish.

COMBINE cheese, egg product, evaporated milk, salt and black pepper in large bowl. Add potatoes, onion, bell pepper and bacon, mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

BAKE for 60 to 65 minutes or until set.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:04 AM

REgarding thanksgiving I make fresh cranberry sauce and it can be sweetened with what ever sugar substitute you use

Puree or grind one pound cranberry s , one orange leave peel on half , one apple cored not peeled , one cup walnuts and sugar to your taste This freezes well and use your sugar substitute as needed
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM

Again, thanks for all the ideas that sound so delicious, it has become where do I start? I hope it has helped others as well to gain some fresh ideas. I like to try new ideas, I get bored with the meat, potato, and gravy thing for every meal. I have told people we were both raised in the "South" but it was really Southern Iowa. We butchered four hogs and 2 beef steers every year in my childhood, raised chicken and grew gardens to can food. Thanks again for all the good ideas. I can print and use later, too, if his dentures do not work out.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Sweet potato casserole (mashed sweets/yams with crushed pineapple topped with marshmallows - omit for sugar reasons).

Anita
Old 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM

My father (and brother) was a squirrel and dove hunter, and fisherman. I grew up eating game, and white meat chicken from Kroger still makes me sad. Fast forward 45 years to my father a stroked, toothless diabetic, and me deciding to go on Atkins to avoid diabetes. I made crispy roast duck when they showed up at my Kroger for the holidays, actually a couple because they taste like dove (sorry to the sensitive souls.) I saved all the fat to fried onions in for my Thanksgiving cornbread stuffing. It was rich all right, with too many onions because heck, I had all that duck fat, and a little too much salt that I tried to kind of balance out with extra sage and thyme. That stuffing made people blink a couple of times on the first bite. I've never been a good cook, but my father loved it. I mean really loved it. I sent all the leftovers with Mom and he asked for it every day until it was all gone.

I'm thinking he had lost some of his sense of taste, and the strong flavors and fierce richness made it *seem* like the way food tasted to him when he was 20. And if you decide to try this, you can do two at once, you can save the legs and thighs of the ducks to rub down with salt, garlic, and rosemary for a couple of days, while the rest roasts crispy and use all that fat to make a duck confit that will really blow people away. You just get a like a shallow Corningware dish and slow roast the legs and thighs while they are covered in all that duck fat. The meat practically melts.

It's expensive and it takes a long time, but like they say, Christmas comes but once a year.

Oh, another sneaky holiday thing is to puree either broccoli or asparagus with cream. You spread overly wet but not soupy creamed potatoes out in pan, yeah, in my family it's another Corningware baking dish. Make little shallow little ditches across the potatoes and then make stripes of green vegetable puree in the ditches. Then drag a butter knife through it crossways to drag the green through it. It almost looks like a bargello quilt and it's pretty to set on the table. If you mess up, just swirl it all around. People who ordinarily won't eat green vegetables will eat this and love it.

Last edited by Petalpatsy; 11-22-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add another idea