Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Weight Watchers?? >

Weight Watchers??

Weight Watchers??

Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM

I think WW is great. I joined about 1.5 years ago, lost 22 lbs. in 4 months, and have kept most of it off. It taught me some great basic life-changes regarding food, and I've developed some good routines that keep the weight off. Once you reach your goal, you're a "lifetime member", and as long as you stay within 2 lbs. of your goal, you aren't charged. I think it's a great program, and ... it works.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM

I just recently started WW again, I joined our WW at work group, which meets during lunch hour. We will see, as I too have a hard time tracking with the points. Way back in 1974 i was on it and they had the set menu i.e. fish (any kind but shell fish) 5 times a week, beef once, limit of 4 eggs a week, a certain amount of veggies and fruits, limit on high carb veggies and fruits. etc. I did very well on it back then, I'd pick something and check it off my weekly list. I also had a leader that was inspiring and motivating and had a different theme each week. I think that made a big impact too.
I'm tired of continuing to lose and regain the same 10 pounds. Part of the reason I decided to try it again is the weekly accountability. And I think that is why the weekly fee too, besides funding the program, we don't want to "waste" money by paying and not following through. But for that to work I think I need to also pay attention to what my motivation is.

Last edited by starshine; 05-19-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I just recently started WW again ............. besides funding the program,........
Keep in mind that you are not "funding" the program ......... WW is a multi-million dollar business and they are making big $$, often at the expense of your meeting room staff!

Yes, the field staff are paid, but minimum wages, and not for all the hours that they put into their role. It's next thing to a quasi-volunteer position ... they need to like and want to do it, the money does not "pay" them for what they do.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:12 PM

I'm a lifetime member; but, for me, it was much easier taking it off than keeping it off. I started back a week ago to get some of my weight off for 2 out-of-town weddings I'm going to. Whenever you get a salad, especially dining out, ask for the dressing on the side. Dip your fork in the dressing and then pick up some of your salad. Tastes good but not overwhelming.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 PM

The only diet that has worked for me involves looking at the type of food I am eating. Highly processed foods do not satisfy me, and I just eat more and more. I only lose weight if I eat whole foods and avoid processed foods. That's just me, but I avoid WW for that reason. I just don't like the idea that eating WW branded processed food is any better than other processed foods.
When I chose whole foods I just feel better about what I am eating, and I feel satisfied and at peace with what I am putting in my body. Its morning here and I just made some oatmeal with blueberries and a sprinkling of ground linseeds and chopped almonds. No doubt someone would tell me there are too many points in it, but my tummy is happy and I know I won't feel like snacking.

Good luck with your weight loss. It is hard hard work and you need to find what will be effective for you.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM

I lost 75 pounds and have kept it off, count your points and excersize if you are able, don't deny yourself either....my neighbor is doing WW, they were talking about the YONANA at one of her meetings so she bought one and the deserts are tasty and some are zero points!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Write everything down that you put in your mouth. Just work on 5 pounds at a time and do not get discouraged.
Weight Watchers is wonderful and it is so easy now with the Points Plus system. Read labels and portions and you will do well. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks for all of the great thougths and good advice. Tomorrow starts week #3 for me...I'm down nine pounds..I know its quick to lose at first. It amazes me everytime I weigh on Sundays, I've lost a food point on my daily total..I guess I wont lose if I didnt tho. I really need to kick it in the .... and start walking or doing something. I think of all things, this has shown me how much food I'd put in my mouth without even thinking about it. We are raising my 3 year old grand daughter and I know I'd pick off of her plate every nite I would clean off the table..and actually WHY????? No food value...probably wasnt even tasty..I realized this the first nite was I was going to eat a cold grilled cheese..YUK!! lol
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 AM

As it sounds from people who have replied to you post, many of us have went to WW, many more than once and many who have been successful but eventually put the weight back on.

I after being frustrated with my weight, found overeaters anonymous. It is a 12-step group that deals with weight. (pm is anyone is interested in hearing more)

Part of that that I currently do and will help you with WW has to do with recording your food. When I did WW I would start out writing down my meals, adding up points, etc. I never made it too long before I would have eaten all my points far before the day was done. I suggest writing down your food the day before or morning of the current day. Make sure you go by that. You know exactly what food you have in the house and what you are eating each meal - no guesswork.

Good luck!

Meg
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Wow!!! have been reading all the threads, all I want to lose is 5 or 10 pounds I did look up the 17 day diet...here is my two cent...any diet that does not allow you to eat from all three food group is just a quick fix..saying that what if you started out on the 17 day diet to jump start you and then go on WW.. I like WW because fruits and vegs are all zero point... If after 2pm (who's idea was that, what happen at 2pm you turn into a pumpkin or something) you can't have fruit something is not right!!!think about it....eat healthy all the time and once in a while you can have a mac attack!! you know on WW you can have your Mickey D and eat it to.... 11 points for a happy meal and you get fruit will it...please don't kill me.