Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What can I do with eggplant? >

What can I do with eggplant?

What can I do with eggplant?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM

Default What can I do with eggplant?

Hello..My hubby brought home an eggplant that someone gave him at work. I have never tasted one before. I have seen them at the store, but have never purchased them. I searched and there seem to be lots of eggplant recipes out there, but my question is: what recipe do you like to fix with eggplant? Thank so much!!

Last edited by BirdyFeathers; 07-26-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

If I was in your position ... I would ask the person who gave it to him, as to how to prepare it. I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you the best ways to cook it.

I've eaten it fried in an open pan with a breading and also used in a vegetarian lasagna.
Both were good ... but to me, nothing I was extremely excited about.
I know many will disagree with me!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Eggplant Parmesan yummy
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

I cook the purple eggplant (there are several types)for my family. I peel the purple skin off. I slice a bit of the ends off, be careful of the stem prickles. I slice the egg plant into 1/4 inch thick slices. I have a bowl with beaten egg in it and a plate with breadcrumbs on it nearby. I dip each slice into the beaten egg and then bread the slices with the breadcrumbs. I fry the slices in vegetable oil in my electric frying pan until golden and crispy. I like mine with just a little butter and salt and pepper. My daughter likes a little vinegar sprinkled on hers.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Eggplant Parmesan yummy
Thank you. This does look yummy. I watched some you tube videos on making this. I saw that some coated and fried the eggplant and some baked it plain before putting the dish together.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I cook the purple eggplant (there are several types)for my family. I peel the purple skin off. I slice a bit of the ends off, be careful of the stem prickles. I slice the egg plant into 1/4 inch thick slices. I have a bowl with beaten egg in it and a plate with breadcrumbs on it nearby. I dip each slice into the beaten egg and then bread the slices with the breadcrumbs. I fry the slices in vegetable oil in my electric frying pan until golden and crispy. I like mine with just a little butter and salt and pepper. My daughter likes a little vinegar sprinkled on hers.

Another yummy recipe. Thank you. Mine is a purple eggplant too. I will be trying this one too. I think I am going to need more eggplants to try all these different recipes
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM

You can also do Baba Ganoush-its like an eggplant hummus. You wouldn't have to heat the oven up for it.

http://recipes.search.yahoo.com/search?p=baba%20ganoush
Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
If I was in your position ... I would ask the person who gave it to him, as to how to prepare it. I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you the best ways to cook it.

I've eaten it fried in an open pan with a breading and also used in a vegetarian lasagna.
Both were good ... but to me, nothing I was extremely excited about.
I know many will disagree with me!
Thank you. I am sure the giver would love to tell me how to prepare it, but you all always post delicious recipes and I wanted to see how you all liked it best. All the recipes posted look so yummy and I really hope we like the eggplant, I love trying and adding new things to our meals.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
You can also do Baba Ganoush-its like an eggplant hummus. You wouldn't have to heat the oven up for it.

http://recipes.search.yahoo.com/search?p=baba%20ganoush
Thank you. This looks delish with the veggies.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 PM

I love eggplant, you can bread it and fry it or bread it and bake it with a spaghetti sauce. I also like to put into a food processor and mix it with ground beef or turkey to make meatballs. It also adds a ton of flavor it you add it to a pasta dish, the peel can sometimes be bitter but its' a very thin skin, easy to peel.