Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why would I need a crock pot? >

Why would I need a crock pot?

Why would I need a crock pot?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
They do make small crock pots. But whatever your preference. DH doesn't like to leave small appliances on while we are gone from the house. Not even for a little while. Doesn't make sense when the tv is always on 20 hours out of the day. If I'm home I turn it off and turn the radio on or nothing. I would love to fix meals in the crockpot.
I started doing that too, for the past couple of weeks. I just turn the tv off, it is getting on my nerves, so many commercials. I will put the radio on or nothing. Sometimes that is calming too.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:52 PM

I don't use mine that much, sometimes the food is just too mushy. I do use it fix a turkey breast, it turns out so moist.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:56 PM

I, too, live alone but use my crock pot(s) frequently. I have three sizes but use the 1 quart for my meals. You can also prepare vegetables or complete meals in the crock pot. I cook cabbage and bake potatoes. I also prepare complete meals by separating the meat the veggies with aluminum foil.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:57 AM
BCM

I find the small one very useful for cooking for one. Nice to use recipes that have all you need in that one crock pot dish and then no more cooking for the day - or two.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 AM

I use my crock pot 2-3 times per week even tho there are just the two of us. I make a lot of soups--Italian Wedding soup, Zuppa Toscana, potato, broccolli, etc. and freeze it in single serving containers. I love to be in the Bat Cave (my sewing room) and smell the soups from downstairs. Then all I have to do is make a salad and dinner is served. I don't use it when no one's home but MrJanRn works from home so he can make sure there's no problems.

One mistake I made one time was putting in too much rice and not checking. Well, the rice expanded so much it pushed the lid up and soup and rice ran all over the counter. I'll measure next time!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:57 AM

I like to cook early in the day so I like putting it on in the morning and by dinner it's ready. Also, easy clean up with only 1 pot. I cook turkey legs in mine with broth and wine and also carrots, potatoes and onions. That and bread is all you need. I cook most of my things from scratch so I'm going to try homemade spaghetti sauce in it. Also, makes a nice beef stew. You don't have to watch it so you have all day to do what you want to do. I have the newer programmable one. I turn it on and when the time's up it goes to warm. I love it. We don't mind leftovers so we eat it for 2 nights and then have it for lunch or freeze it for another time.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 AM

when my big slow cooker broke, I bought a smaller (about 1 gallon size) one for just me & DH. Unfortunately, DH passed a few months ago and now on my own. I found myself not eating much and not eating properly since it seemed a waste of time to cook just for myself. BUT....with a slow cooker, I can make myself a nice meal without a lot of kitchen time then have a healthier meal for a couple of days and freeze the rest in meal-sized portions. Then I can just take the meal out of the freezer the day before I want it and warm it up in the microwave. Definitely worth it, at least for me. I got this idea from my SIL - she's widowed too and she's a great cook.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:13 AM

Love my crockpot! Whether it's soup, roast with vegetables, port roast with sauerkraut, desserts galore. Always trying new recipes. There are only two of us, have left overs a few days later, freeze or share. Love putting it on in the morning and having evening meal ready. The smell of something cookin' is always good (except for the sauerkraut). We have the small one and a 5 quart one that we love.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:52 AM

I do not think I would use mine as much if I were home all day but I work full time. I do use it more often in the winter. We are on the go way too much and so it comes in handy for tail gate parties, friendly get together and other social gatherings. Just used 2 for our local town Xmas party on Sat night. As others have said I make soups and stews mostly and I have even baked cakes in mine. We eat venison and I do buy meat on sale and freeze it to use later. We like having leftovers for the next night. Last night we had a pork roast with pearl onions, whole cranberries, carrots and celery. It was very good.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM

I have three different sizes and I use all of them. I'm usually home during the day and since I have a dog I'm reluctant to set one and go off for the day but I still find them useful.

I made apple butter and pumpkin butter in the crockpot. I froze the jars and will use them as Christmas gifts. There are also crockpot recipes for various candies that I've done in the past as gifts.

I make chicken in the crockpot and then shred it for various things like homemade pizza, chicken salad, tacos, etc. I do freeze it but you don't have to have a huge freezer for some of this stuff.

Since I live alone I'm not always in the mood to make dinner for just myself so having a few homemade freezer items is very handy.

If I don't want to eat something forever, I'll use the 1 quart size and that will usually make one meal for right away with leftovers for the next day.