Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why would I need a crock pot? >

Why would I need a crock pot?

Why would I need a crock pot?

Old 12-10-2013, 07:21 AM

it's just the two of us, but I do often use my crock pot. It makes the best pea soup or country ribs imaginable!! I'm usually at home, so safety is not an issue. And I do have lots of freezer space, but I tend to share my fare with an elderly neighbor who is recently widowed.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 AM

I need a crock pot .I make beans in it. I put 4 cups of washed pinto beans and one 6 oz package of salt pork and water above beans 2 or 3 inches and cook over night next day they are ready by lunch I blot off the fat and put the meat from the salt pork in with the beans and discard the salt pork fat. The beans never get soaked because they cook over night.I keep them in my freezer all the time. and there are only 2 of us.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 AM

I have a brand new- never opened still in the box crock pot and come Christmas morning it will be 11 yrs old. But some day it may come in handy. The dang thing is to big for 2 people and not big enough for a family with 3 kids.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Thank you all for your opinions. If I decide to buy one, what features should it have? Like a timer? I found one, not too expensive but that one doesn't have a timer.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Have you ever felt the counter top under the crock pot? It gets HOT!!

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
You don't. The idea is to set it and go but since a friend's house burned down from using an old crock pot, we never leave our's going when we aren't here. It can be nice not to turn on the big oven for pot roast but, that's about it.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Its your choice to crock or not ..I have two large ones and two small ones and its just the two of us; but I also have a freezer. So many of our items go into the freezer for later eatings .. Sometimes DH uses the small ones to make green chili or chili in small batches.
I look at it this way-the crock watches my food cook so I can crochet, sew or quilt ! :-)
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM

Re Cindy B's post regarding the countertop: my crockpot came with a warning to place it on a heat resistant surface. I made an 18" square quilt block, used Insulbrite and set the pot on that. Countertop does not feel warm at all.

Anael, as for features, mine is basic: off, warm, medium, high. No timer or fancy features.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Jan, that's exactly what the one I saw can do. Off, warm, medium and high. The quilt block with Insulbrite is a good idea. I bought Insulbrite last winter but didn't do anything with it.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:09 AM

I love my Crock Pots-all 3 of them! I've used them for years & wouldn't give them up. I make many things that others have suggested plus I love to use it in the summer. The kitchen doesn't get all heated up.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 AM

When my dh and I married back in 1977 right out of high school, the teachers at our school bought us a slow cooker and it was the best gift ever. I have had to buy several since then and I always buy the slow cooker. Mine is oval shaped and sits on a warming tray. They have all been made by West Bend. For years it was nice to put something on to cook in the mornings and then it would be ready by supper time. When our sons were still living at home I used it a lot more than I do now. However I still use it at least once a week.