Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: you probably all knew, I didn't

Blog Entries
    Great idea for the cabbage. One suggestion though, since saran wrap can leach harmful chemicals onto your food while microwaving, is to put the cabbage into a bowl cover with a saucer or plate then microwave.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnlady
    Great idea for the cabbage. One suggestion though, since saran wrap can leach harmful chemicals onto your food while microwaving, is to put the cabbage into a bowl cover with a saucer or plate then microwave.
    would work too...the saran just held in the moisture...

Thanks for the tip. I love cabbage rolls but don't like the nuisance of wilting the leaves in a pot of boiling water. This sounds so much easier.

Thank you. How about wet paper towel? So true about chemicals on any kind of plastics, I hear.
    I love Cabbage rolls, thanks for the tips. Now I will be able to make them without the boiling part!!! :-D

Blog Entries
    I made them using the micro for yrs,till a neighbor told me to freeze the head of cabbage.
    Works great.I just put it in freezer the day before,remove from freezer the next morn & as it thaws,it gets limp.Just cut off the leaves you need & stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    I made them using the micro for yrs,till a neighbor told me to freeze the head of cabbage.
    Works great.I just put it in freezer the day before,remove from freezer the next morn & as it thaws,it gets limp.Just cut off the leaves you need & stuff.
    I had heard of this too but didn't think ahead LOL,

when I was 1st married-husband said he'd like some cabbage rolls,-asked around-was told it was "like your mom's spanish rice wrapped up in cabbage w/tomato sauce over it. so totally cooked S.rice wrapped it in raw cabbage, & simmered it, totally fell apart. ADDED TOOTHPICKS,still too loose. someone said add an EGG as a binder. cooked the rice mix, cooled it, added an EGG, still had no luck rolling.THEN I got a HUNGARIAN landlord, who invited me down so I could figure out what I was doing wrong.Imagine my surprise to learn the meat& rice were raw & the CABBAGE was cooked! --made adding that EGG alot easier!That was 40 years ago- alot easier to make now! Don't cook the rice anymore, either! LOL!!-needless to say I grew up hillybilly & we didn't make those!

sounds so good, i have not made cabbage rolls in years.

Thanks for the tip. We love cabbage rolls in the winter. I cook totally different for the summer months.

Also you can cook corn on the cob in the microwave too. I put all my ears in a zip lock bag and add several T of water, zip part way and cook about 7 min per bag. My daughter wraps hers in wax paper and cooks it about that long too, absolutely delicious.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3