Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
SewExtremeSeams

Originally Posted by kapatt
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
That being said, machines should NEVER be shipped in the case. There are a few people who know how to secure them in the base/case, but not many. The heavy machine winds up rattling around in the case, and you're lucky if it's only the case that's demolished.
Here's some information from treadleon re: shipping:

(http://treadleon.net/sewingmachinesh.../shipping.html)
I agree completely. I've gotten to the point that I only look for auction items that are within driving distance. (They are sometimes few and far between.)
If you do buy on ebay, take a look at the feedback and see what type of items they have shipped in the past. ...

Another thing to be cautious about is that many times, people don't know what model of machine that they are selling. (I've seen this on ebay and on Craig's List.)
I've seen people stating that their machine is a 401 Singer, (which zigzags and has attachments) but the picture of it is a 404 (that is just a straight stitch). Before you buy, find pictures (on the internet) of the model you want or the model they say they are selling and compare the two.
Many times an ebay seller will state that their machine is a featherweight when in reality it is a 99. (99s are very heavy.)
Kathy, you bring up a great point about CL and sellers not knowing what they are selling. At first, I thought I 'should' educate them on their machine... LOL (has to be the teacher in me)

and then I realized it is not for me to do that as it could cause their pricing to go higher. However, I always ask for close up photos of all sides of the machine including the bottom. And I ask for a photo of the serial number. That way it is me that knows what the machine is that I might be interested in.

BUT, the temptation for me to inform them is sewwwwwwwwwwwww strong, I can hardly hold it at times :oops: I am practicing though.

Wherever you are in Washington I am waving at you...