Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Ninnie
Power Poster

here is what I have been working on.
I wanted to get back to doing some old fashioned piecing, before I forgot how :-D So, I decided to do a pattern on values only. This pattern is called Buggy Wheels, and only takes light and dark values. And since I have plenty of scraps and fq, it was easy to come up with enough material. I decided that I was going to use whatever I came to first in the chests, as long as it was either a dark value, or a light value. There are around 80 different materials in this.
So, I cut 2 7/8 in squares, and then cut them in half. I know there are a lot of ways to make hst, but with the 1/4in foot, this is what works b est for me. I just started cutting, threw the darks in one bag, and the lights in another. Then when I started sewing, I would pull a pile out of each bag, and start string piecing.
there are 2 sets, dark on dark, and dark on light. Then after getting all of these made, I again threw the dark on dark in one bag, and the dark on light in another. then I cut the 2 1/2 in setting squares and the sashing, and setting blocks.
And then I sat down to sew. I shook up each bag real well, to mix up the hst, and then pulled out a handful of each. No planning where the colors would fall, just using the pattern pic to set them up,as I picked them up. And I love the way they look when you finish one, Each block is 16 in., and I need 20. I have 11 made, so , 9 to go :-D
Each of these blocks have 102 pieces in them.
here are some pictures

bags with hst in them
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88975[/ATTACH]

setting up to sew
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88976[/ATTACH]

one 16 in block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88977[/ATTACH]

first 9 blocks
[ATTACH=CONFIG]88979[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-88970.jpe   attachment-88971.jpe   attachment-88972.jpe   attachment-88974.jpe