Old 06-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Glenn

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Icandothat
I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?Charlee is right on. Beaware that the finish on these cabinets are shellac and alcohol will desolve the finish. Use Mohawk Bril glow rubbing liquid and it will shine the finnish like new. Glenn
I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...