Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Icandothat

[quote=Icandothat]
Originally Posted by Icandothat
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Icandothat
I recently "acquired" this sewing machine cabinet that I want to refinish. I need advice.
1. Do you know anything about this cabinet? What machine was originally in it? etc.
2. How should I refinish the veneer? Should I consider painting the entire cabinet?
3. Note the way the cabinet "cover" section opens. It only opens to this 90 degree angle. At first I thought the "take up" wire slid back and forth in the groove, but after examining it, I think the wire is fixed at both ends. Do I need to replace this wire with a longer one that allows the "cover" section to lay flat?
I appreciate you taking the time to advise me.
I don't think you should refinish it at all, I think you should send it to me instead!! ;) :lol:

I wouldn't paint it! I would put a longer wire on so that the "table" lays flat, and I would wash the wood with Murphy's Oil Soap, let it dry, give it a going over with Homer's Furniture Refinisher and then a coat of Homer's Beeswax with Orange Oil...
Thanks, Charlee..... I will try those products. The cabinet looks so washed out.... I would love to bring it back to life.
Do you know what machine originally came in this cabinet? Or the time frame when it was sold?
I love this thread and try to keep up on the new posts.
Thanks, again.[/quote

Also, are you aware of any tricks to adding another wire?
Charlee,
Is Homer the same as Formbys? Where do you buy the refinisher and the beeswax?