Old 07-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by SewOK
I rescued two antique Singer sewing macines from a basement in Bristol, Virginia this 2 weeks ago that were going to be given away to the man that was hired to clean out what was left in the house. A treadle model 31 that was manufactured in 1901 by the Singer Manufacturing Co. and the other one is the same model you have jumpin' judy which I don't know what that model is but the needle plate says the manufacturing date was 1910.

Here is the treadle -- someone removed both the shuttle and the bobbin so I'll have to find those and then the portable, which I'm not really sure what the model is -- it has the shuttle but I'll have to find the bobbin.
Nice machines indeed!!

The first one is a Model 27 and it has the "Memphis Sphinx" decals. This is a really common machine that they made well over a million of these with this decal on them.

The second machine is a Model 128 with the "La Vencedora" decals on it. that machine is a 3/4 machine and was popular for the average sewer for mending and little jobs like that. As you know by know it is a very heavy machine so when it is in its case try to support the bottom of the case when you pick it up. Sometimes the handles will rip out from the weight and drop the machine case and all on your foot! :oops:

What is real nice about both machines is you have both of the shuttle plates which is really rare because on the treadled machines the plate would slide right off when the head is let down. So just that alone was worth the find!!

Parts for these machines are still readily available on e
bay and a few other sewing shops online and your local dealers. The bobbins can be found at your local Hancock Fabrics in the notions isle.

Good score on some nice machines!!!

Billy