Thread: American Food
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 AM
BKrenning

Originally Posted by kristen0112
How about some of our southern food like Poke Salad - Elvis sang a about Poke Salad Annie. I looked it up and apparently its made from a native plant that if you don't prepare it properly is poisonous!
Or another southern favorite of my husband is buttermilk pie. I think gizzards are gross but I know lots of people just love 'em.

From my side of the family I know about ludefisk (spelling? from Sweden) but I don't eat it - yuck!
Poke Salad is just the leaves off the poke plant. The berries are poisonous. Not sure about the stalks. Have had poke salad many, many times mixed with dandelion greens and river greens. I have no idea what river greens actually are, though. Something Mom & Grandma used to pick.

Gizzards are excellent as are mountain oysters. I have never met anyone else that ate squirrel heads so I don't know where my mother learned that from.

We have a cottage cheese pie in our family recipe book. It came from my father's mother whose family came from Eastern Tennessee. I wonder if it's similar to buttermilk pie?

There are all kinds of meats made with animal parts that usually go into commercial dog food that my family made. I don't miss those at all! I do miss some of the things made with lard, though and cracklings in the store are nothing like fresh, hot, straight out of the rendering pot, cracklings.