Old 09-15-2010, 05:00 AM
dgmoby

[quote=appliqué][quote=dgm

On the picture project, I can't seem to get flower petal edges that ripple to look nice. I've tried freezer paper/starch, needle turn, back basting and none of them are great. I don't know how to get the petal edge ripples to look good as I'm stitching them down. They seem to bulk up or get too pointy instead of being flowing curves. It's a hump, dip, hump, dip, hump on a small piece of fabric, maybe 1" wide. Then it's combined with 5 others petals with the same edging to create the flower. Any hints here, I would really appreciate...I just can't seem to get it!
-------------

It sounds as though you might have more than a quarter inch of fabric to turn under. A quarter inch or even an eigth of an inch is about all that you should have. Otherwise you will need to clip the curves before stitching.
As far as points go, again there would probably be some trimming needed. A tiny perpendicular stitch in the very tip of the point helps keep it where you want it as yo tuck the edge under to stitch the other side. Do just a little at a time, a few stitches then sweep a bit more under.
Not sure if this will help but hope it does.

My machine appliqué is so much faster and easier on the hands that I have done very little by hand. One of my pieces is waiting for special order fabric for the borders so it can go to the quilter. I don't hand quilt anymore either.[/quote]

----------------------

Thank you so much! It might be that I do have too much fabric there. I'll certainly try cutting some more away. I did try the clipping, but that resulting in fraying because I think I handled it too much trying to sweep it underneath. And it could be I clipped too much/not enough also. Those tiny, close little humps/dips will be the death of me, I'm sure! :) I do appreciate your help!

And your appliqué is awesome! What a great piece of work! That is really something to be proud of :)