Old 09-24-2010, 03:40 PM
ukdame

Originally Posted by Marye
I am hand appliqueing my Baltimore Album quilt. I prefer the freezer paper, then the overlays.
I am doing my first applique crib quilt and I used the freezer paper method, I also painted on starch around the turns as suggested by several online sewing friends, which I might add kept my pieces flat and firm. This will be an airplane applique quilt similar to the Pottery Barn one.(red plane on blue chambray) I will try to post pics soon. I have done a hand running stitch w/ contrasting embroidery thread around all the edges that will show. My next step will be to hand sew all the pieces of the airplane on to a big white puffy cloud. I hear that silk thread works best to make these stitches less visible and yet be strong. I am thinking a machine stitch would detract from the nice decorative running stitch that I did about 1/4 inch in from the edges. I also need advice on if to do this quilt as a sandwich w/binding or try the turning it inside out way that I have done w/table mats but never anything this big.

:? :? :?