Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Lostn51
Banned

Originally Posted by JAM
Thanks Billy, My hubby just ordered a universal low shank walking foot for me off the internet. Can't wait :-D Have another question for you. Have a Sears Kenmore Model 1430 zig zag machine. When the foot pedal is used the motor runs but the needle moves not at all or very slowly. Was told to put a phone book on pedal and let it run (15/20 min)when I got it to loosen up the oil.Smelled like it had been over oiled. Hubby said the motor didn't get hot but the wheel on the outside wasn't turning. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks again for your help, Jeanne
Sounds like it needs a good servicing to me. Take the top of the machine off and open the faceplate to expose the needlebar and presserfoot bar and see if it needs a good cleaning. Take a brush and brush away any lint that may be there and if it is greasy you can take a small paint brush and some kerosene and clean the inside of the machine.

If it is not greasy and grimy take a hair drier and warm up the parts in the machine and get you sewing machine oil and put a drop or two on anything that moves and touches metal to metal. Plug the machine in and run it with everything open so you can oil and watch what is happening. Be sure to clean the lint out of the feed dogs (remove the plates for that) and the underside of the machine and oil it up also.

Billy