Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 AM
BoJangles

Well you guys I have the Davis Vertical Feed machine in my garage. Had to give away my 1901 Model 27 (posted on page 357) that I had spent 3 weeks cleaning. The 27 went to one of my friends and she is thrilled to own it so she got a good home!

Anyway, this is what I found written by Anne Kusilek on antiquequiltdating.com!

"For straight line (grid) quilting, applying bindings and working with flannels or other fabrics that want to shift under the presser foot, I have a ca. 1910 Davis Vertical Feed. Like the Two Spool, this machine is an oddity: it's a walking foot machine without feed dogs........Its not pretty but now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it. I've used walking foot attachments, but none of them ever came close to working as well as this old machine. Like most antique machines, it can handle almost anything you throw at it and it doesn't quibble when I'm sewing through 6 layers of fabric plus batting to attach a binding."

I won't have time to clean and oil this machine this week -- the holiday's -- but, I can't wait to get out there and get her cleaned up and try it!

Miz Johnny, Billy it says I need Boye 10 needles? Are these something old and special? A Schmetz won't work?

And thank you Vintagemotif (didn't you post the link in the first place) and Quilt Addict! Without you guys pushing me, I wouldn't have looked at this machine! I am so intriqued by the oddity of it!

Nancy