Old 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well you guys I have the Davis Vertical Feed machine in my garage.

Anyway, this is what I found written by Anne Kusilek on antiquequiltdating.com!

"For straight line (grid) quilting, applying bindings and working with flannels or other fabrics that want to shift under the presser foot, I have a ca. 1910 Davis Vertical Feed. Like the Two Spool, this machine is an oddity: it's a walking foot machine without feed dogs........Its not pretty but now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it. I've used walking foot attachments, but none of them ever came close to working as well as this old machine. Like most antique machines, it can handle almost anything you throw at it and it doesn't quibble when I'm sewing through 6 layers of fabric plus batting to attach a binding."

And thank you Vintagemotif (didn't you post the link in the first place) and Quilt Addict! Without you guys pushing me, I wouldn't have looked at this machine! I am so intriqued by the oddity of it!

Nancy
Congrats! Happy to find you another machine, and this time an interesting and rare machine for you to use. I had read that blog information about the Davis machines while trying to figure out if this machine that you just picked up was a Davis. That was a great deal that you got for this machine! Part of my fun is looking at all the interesting machines that are posted on CL at night while taking a break from quilting. Sometimes I find myself looking at machines that are posted on CL across the nation. My curiosity of the none Singers has me researching (how I found out about your new machine). I have learned so much about vintage machines this way. IF I had a wealth of money, time to travel, and space to store these machines, I would be taking a road trip across the nation. But for now this is my fun.