Old 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM
justwannaquilt

Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
Originally Posted by Rachel
Originally Posted by grammiepamie
What kind of belly button does he have? Inny or outey?There is a reason why I asked that. You probably think I am crazy but I'm not. Just a concerned grammie.
He has an inny. I've gotta hear the reasoning behind this please. tee hee
It doesn't happen often and I have only seen one baby with it, but it's called pyloric stenosis. The valve at the bottom of the stomach doesn't work well and the stomach can't empty into the small intestine. Hense projectile vomiting. But allergies can cause that also. I have bad allergies and I have done my share. But I agree with the other ladies also. Get a second or third opinion. Mothers know best when it comes to their babies.
Doc ordered an Upper GI and said the test for this was normal. Didn't know it had anything to do with this belly button though. Thanks!!!
My son had surgery for pyloric stenosis at 14 days old. It is NOT always an allergic reaction. Nor is it always gas. We got the diagnosis through ultra sound. He threw up every bottle for four days and was down almost two pounds from birth weight. I took him to the dr. and told her I thought he had this she thought it was something different. Statistics show that a first born male child is most likely to have it and it doesn't normally show up until 6+ weeks after birth. 5 hours later I was on my way to St. Louis with my 13 day old child. He was the fourth born, third male! He had surgery the following day after getting a ton of fluids because he was VERY dehydrated and they could not do surgery that day! He was 9 weeks old at finally back up to birth weight!

A little medical lesson....
It has nothing to do with the belly button!
Normally, food passes easily from the stomach into the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine) through a valve called the pylorus. In pyloric stenosis, the muscles of the pylorus are thickened. This thickening prevents the stomach from emptying into the small intestine. The muscles get so thick that it closes off and nothing gets through. The only place for the stomach contents to go is out the way they came in!