Old 12-24-2010, 06:24 PM
mim

Let's see -- I retired just before my 70th birthday and went backpacking in the Baltic states. -- Did a dig for the Hermitage in St Petersburg Russia on an island -- I taught a bunch of college kids how to use pick and shovel for 8 hours and not get wiped out. Spent 2 weeks on the dig and then 2 weeks with a woman in an apartment in St P. then on to Finland, Estonis, Lithuania, Latvia and Poland. Sometimes in a hostel, sometimes with quilters.

My last mountain/cliff climbing was when I was 75. Now I'm an "old " married lady. I used to say I wanted to grow up to be a lady like my great aunt -- who wandered the world alone also until she was in her 90s

maybe someday I will really grow up -- but not yet -- I'm having too much fun

Originally Posted by drgranny
Originally Posted by Pat G
While I've already broadcast my age, I want to add that I have sev. friends my age who talk themselves into being old. All they talk about is "these Golden Years" or I can't do this or that because I'm old. They constantly complain about aches & pains. Ok, so I have a few aches & pains now but it doesn't stop me. I hope my mind never catches up with the age I see on paper. We were all young at one time & everybody gets their turn at being old.
I totally agree with you. I am 71 and mostly still feel like I did when I was younger. I know people who are a lot younger than me and look older and really act older. I think that comes from not "doing" anything or having any interests to take you places. I have lost so many friends that I don't have anyone to pal around with any more except red hatters. But I still go and do just about anything I want to. I plan to keep doing it for many more years. Oh yes, I have aches and pains too but have a high pain threshold and I mostly just ignore it.