Old 12-25-2010, 05:34 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by misseva
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by misseva
ok - now I know it's Christmas and you're probably full & sleepy but someone PLEASE go to page 492 and look at my pix of the La Reine Coffin Top Treadle. I can't find anything on the internet. I did find a number on the plate that goes over the shuttle bobbin and it's 2929792 and on that same plate it lists the size of thread/needle to use. It's driving me c-r-a-z-y!!!!!
I don't know about La Reine sewing machines, sorry. Your machine looks like some of the Eldredge or National or Davis sewing machines from about that time. I have a National Two Spools which at one time Eldredge made until the company was sold to National that looks a little like yours. My bobbin area is different. If you google Davis sewing machines you can find some that look like yours too. It could be that one of the major sewing machine companies made this machine for a department store ( this was sometimes done).
I've searched everywhere on the machine and can't find another name. I've searched the internet and can't get a hit for Levy & Sommers in Rayne, LA. or anything. It's as if I'm looking at something that's not actually there. I did notice that it takes a triangle shaped key (which is missing) for the coffin top, sides and middle drawers tho. There's nothing on the ironwork either. Bummer!!!
Or it could be a Free Sewing Machine. The shape is similar to the Free machines, too. I too looked, but can't find much either. My guess is that this machine was made for a local store or department store during the time that the sewing machine companies made the machines and the stores had their names put on the machine (but then I could be totally wrong). Did it come with a needle? If so, how does it sew? Very nice machine!