View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM
cynde

Originally Posted by mfre42day
Hi ya!
I've never done this and I don't really understand the point of it, so bear with me here...First do these patterns come with all the paper squre designs a person needs to do an entire quilt? Second, why would you do this instead of just cutting your squares and triangles and sewing them together like what seems normal to me?
Cheryl
Hi, I'll try and answer your questions.

The patterns I have used are for a block. You can include them in a quilt or reproduce them many times to create a quilt. Or combine different ones to create a pattern like storm at sea for example.

There are many reasons I use paper piecing, but mainly because they are shapes that are not typical (like squares or triangles). They can be quite detailed, for example I have done fairly ornate flowers, a santa face. a bumble bee etc... Another reason is that it is a great way to be perfectly accurate, the paper stabilizes the fabric, even when sewing on the bias for example a mariners compass, which is my next project, another reason is every block is identical.

I'm sure lots of other people can explain this better, or even give more reasons.