View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 AM
jstitch
Banned

This is for Melissa, too many pics to put it in your thread..

I made this block using the pattern from quilterscache.com and I will share some things I learned using this particular pattern and the changes or options you have in completing the block to your satisfaction.

This block should make a 12.5 inch unfinished block.

First of all, in looking at the pattern, there are lines drawn on the pieces indicating the direction of the straight of grain. The quarter circle is fine, having the grain lines on both sides of the 90 degree angle.

It is the other piece that has the issues, in my opinion. The first picture shows pins in the location of the grain lines printed on the pattern.. and where I believe you should place the grain lines when cutting your pieces.

My logic here is that if you cut with the grain line going down the center of the piece, you will have all bias edges when you sew, and, no matter how experienced you are, you will have trouble with these pieces stretching out of shape.

My advice is to place one side (the same side on all of the pieces) of the piece on the straght of grain...if you do this, you will always be sewing a bias edge piece to a straight of grain piece, giving you more control and less stretching of the pieces as you sew.

the pin on the pink piece is where the pattern marked the grain line, the pin on the green piece is where I suggest you place the grain line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49815[/ATTACH]

This is how you should cut your pieces.. the same edge on all pieces should be placed on the straight of grain
[ATTACH=CONFIG]50762[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49815.jpe   attachment-50762.jpe