Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn

Nancy please no water it will loosen the veener because it was glued down with hyde glue(old glue pot type). You may wipe down the piece with turps or denatured alcohol only. This will neutralize the stripper so stain and shellac will stick to the wood. The brass brush is a small parts brush about the size of a toothbrush, the brass bristle will not hurt the wood since they are softer than a regular wire brush. The finish with white specks in the grain is known as pickling and it not appropriate for sewing machine cabinets. Some people call it white washing and was very popular for oak floors and kitchen cabinets. If all the white paint can't be removed you can use a gel stain this will cover the white much better than regular stain. I know it is no fun stipping paint from oak because of the open grain. I have even used dental picks to get the stain out of the grain but very time consuming. Glenn
Thank you Glenn, this is good for everyone here to read as all of us have found and will find machines in cabinets that are going to need to be re-done.

I really don't want the white washed look, or shaby, or pickling, or whatever? This sounds interesting for picture frames, but not my taste for cabinets. The gel stain sounds good, but I am not ready for that yet. Still doing the stripping gel. I will just keep at it a little each day. I have only tried working on the cabinet top and drawer frame. I haven't even started the coffin top nor drawers themselves! I am glad you clarified the brass brush as opposed the a wire brush.

Nancy