Old 03-07-2011, 06:20 PM
IT_Nana

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by IT_Nana
Hi Nancy,

I'm amazed that the cabinets are so different but the machines look so similar, except yours is much shinier and your decals are pristine! What did you use to clean yours? Mine is dingy from years of being shut up in the cabinet, but I don't want to use something that would damage what remains of the decals.

Also, where is your serial number? My Mom was born in 1918, and she was the first baby not born in a sod house, so possibly Grandma got the machine when they moved into the new house. It's all very interesting, isn't it!
Yes, my friend's cabinet is yet another style too, but her machine looks just like ours!

The serial number is on the base right behind where the arm starts up on a little brass type plate. You can see the serial number in the picture of the back of my Free on page 627.

I used Blue Magic 12A TR3 Resin Glaze to clean and wax the machine, but don't go over the decals! I went around the decals with a Q tip. The TR3 is a car cleaner and wax, but Billy has a tutorial on cleaning the old machine here if you do a search.

Yes, I love hearing the stories. My Mother was born in 1929 and I have no idea what treadle she learned to sew on. I know my grandmother had a treadle that Mom used, I have never found a picture of it -- I would love to have that treadle or just one like it if I knew what it was. You are very fortunate to not only know what your Grandmother used, but to actually have that machine!

Nancy

Here is Part 1 of Cleaning Your Vintage Machine by Billy our guru here! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm

Thanks for the information, Nancy. I'm too tired tonight to read it all, but I will see if I can find that serial number. I've learned SO much since joining this board just a few months ago. There is a wealth of knowledge in these combined brains! :-)

Kaye